No buffs on weapons?

balmunng

Ok, so here's a rather interesting question:

I am trying to put effects that would benefit the wielder onto a weapon using the creation kit. Unfortunately, it seems as if whenever I try to add the group of enchantments on my weapon, it does not show up at all. Is there any way I can 'force' these types of benefical effects on a weapon, or is there no way to circumvent this?

Edited by balmunng

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't tried adding a wielder-buffing enchantment to a weapon yet, but assuming the ck lets you do this, it would work like enchanting any other piece of gear.

You do not add a 'group' of enchantments. Any given piece of gear can only have one enchantment on it (I'm not sure how the enchanting perk twin souls works). To create an item with multiple effects on it, you create a custom enchantment, naming it whatever you like. You then add whatever effects you want to the enchantment, modifying their magnitudes and costs as you see fit. The costs are additive, but if you want a weapon that never uses charges you can disable auto-calc and set the cost to 0.

Then on the weapon form, you would apply your custom enchantment and set how much charge strength you want the item to have.

And there's the rub. Weapon enchantments are designed to be 'applied' and consume charges while armor enchantments are designed to be passive and not consume anything. So it might not let you put an armor enchantment on a weapon. If it does let you, it might act strangely. Good luck!

I think you may have to approach this a little sideways:

I don't think weapon enchantments can target the wielder, nor can they be constant effects -- they do things to the other guy when you hit him, and drain charges to do so.

However, if you were to apply a hidden perk to the player that provides the same benefit as the enchantment you're trying to create, and apply a conditional to it so that the player has to have equipped a weapon with that enchantment, that would likely work. This is how the Skeleton Key works, in fact -- when you get it, you're also given a perk (it's not listed anywhere you can see, though, at least not without console commands) that prevents lockpicks from breaking; when you get to the part of the quest where you have to give it up, the perk is taken away as well, which is why using the console to player.additem doesn't give you the effects back.

Conditions are somewhat limited, though -- you've got a pre-defined list of functions, and I don't think there's one to get the enchantment of the player's wielded weapon(s), so you may have to attach a script to the player instead...