Laptop suggestions for Skyrim/Creation kit use

onson

I picked up my ASUS G74SX three months ago for $1199 Cdn on sale from a small local retail store to mostly play Skyrim, it's a huge flat black rubberized beast and can play almost anything maxxed out. I did tons of research and it's definitely the best performing laptop for the money. The twin fans are essentially totally silent and the massive exhaust ports are very impressive, it doesn't even get warm after playing Skyrim for many hours on ultra settings with all of the higher res. mod textures applied.

i7 2630QM, 8GB 1333MHz RAM, 560M (3GB-192-DDR5 version), 750GB 7200rpm HD, 4x Blu-ray, 1920x1080-17", awesome backlit keyboard, DX11, 3DTV Play etc all for $1350 Cdn inc. tax!

The only weak point is the speakers max. volume, setting them to external actually significantly improves the sound or add some sound enhancing software or just use some decent headphones like me, if you get one. I'm also using Nvidia Inspector to safely OC the 560M because of its very conservative speeds for ~20% better fps. I haven't used Riva Tuner to help the theoretically slow 2630QM because I don't need to, yet... (pending the coming huge overhaul mods)

Overall, I'm very, very happy with my ASUS G74 and have zero regrets, if you have any other questions you can PM me as I rarely return to threads I post on. :)

I picked up my ASUS G74SX three months ago for $1199 Cdn on sale from a small local retail store to mostly play Skyrim, it's a huge flat black rubberized beast and can play almost anything maxxed out. I did tons of research and it's definitely the best performing laptop for the money. The twin fans are essentially totally silent and the massive exhaust ports are very impressive, it doesn't even get warm after playing Skyrim for many hours on ultra settings with all of the higher res. mod textures applied.

i7 2630QM, 8GB 1333MHz RAM, 560M (3GB-192-DDR5 version), 750GB 7200rpm HD, 4x Blu-ray, 1920x1080-17", awesome backlit keyboard, DX11, 3DTV Play etc all for $1350 Cdn inc. tax!

The only weak point is the speakers max. volume, setting them to external actually significantly improves the sound or add some sound enhancing software or just use some decent headphones like me, if you get one. I'm also using Nvidia Inspector to safely OC the 560M because of its very conservative speeds for ~20% better fps. I haven't used Riva Tuner to help the theoretically slow 2630QM because I don't need to, yet... (pending the coming huge overhaul mods)

Overall, I'm very, very happy with my ASUS G74 and have zero regrets, if you have any other questions you can PM me as I rarely return to threads I post on. :)

I have the 460m 1.5gb in my Asus, would I be able to do the same as you to help my fps? Id like to be able to run ultra better, as I can only get 20fps in cities right now

I have the G73S as well with the 460M 1.5GB of memory. My performance improved a lot by using Game Booster. But then again I had a lot of junk running in the background. I'll also add that I'm very very glad I got the 3D vision option with mine. In Skyrim it looks absolutely amazing. When getting it I was on the fence but I was not prepared for just how much better it looks than the 3D at the movies or even on TV. Can't say enough good things about 3d vision and would not even consider another gaming machine without it.

I have the G73S as well with the 460M 1.5GB of memory. My performance improved a lot by using Game Booster. But then again I had a lot of junk running in the background. I'll also add that I'm very very glad I got the 3D vision option with mine. In Skyrim it looks absolutely amazing. When getting it I was on the fence but I was not prepared for just how much better it looks than the 3D at the movies or even on TV. Can't say enough good things about 3d vision and would not even consider another gaming machine without it.

How do I use game booster? Also I have 3d vision as a program, but is it like 3d movies and I need those expensive glasses?

Dell Inspiron, i7, 6gigs, 18" screen. Bought it six months ago for $1200 and it plays the game on high without issues.

Whatever you get, make sure you have a separate graphics card with at least 1 gb memory.

Just bought my son an Asus with i5 for $650 at Best Buy and it handles all games without issue. Shouldn't be a problem.

How do I use game booster? Also I have 3d vision as a program, but is it like 3d movies and I need those expensive glasses?

I'm not positive about the gamebooster but I use D3Doverrider and I think it's the same idea. Just install and click on it to run it. Very easy to use. You could also check into RegInOut which is a program that has an extreme gaming profile which basically shuts down all the programs you don't need running while playing a game for more performance. Both of these are very easy to use and help with performance.

Are you sure about going for a laptop? If u are 100% sure with no regrets, avoid HP since they overheat. In a nutshell, laptops may overheat when playing skyrim and that will shorten your laptop's lifespan. But if u are 100% going for one, then try the Asus G7 or Toshiba Satellite series. Go for laptops with good vent system, and remember to get a laptop cooler, such as Belkin(brand).

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up getting an Asus g74sx-ah71. i7-2670qm 16gb ram 750hd for just under 1400$ on Amazon

I had one ordered from Tigerdirect that had 12g ram and a 500 hd but they informed me it was out of stock AFTER I ordered it, lol

Its a pretty awesome laptop, and apparently very popular. Running Skyrim and the construction set fine. Havent installed texture packs or anything so far so I dont know how thats gonna work out. I would recommend it to anybody.