Creation Kit Buggy as Heck

guitar1151

3. When adding a large piece of architecture, it will disappear in-game. At first I thought this had to do with the LOD settings. So I made a duplicate of the items (in the item window not the render window) and changed the LOD settings so it would render the same mesh no matter what. Despite my many attempts to fix this, the objects still disappear.

I feel your pain. Having the same problem. I have found it is *somewhat* less likely to happen if you don't fast travel / come out of a building in / load a save starting in the problem cell, but instead walk to the cell from another cell (out of line of sight). Not guarunteed to work, but do have a higher success rate.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so I've had my share of CK probs on release day, but quickly settled in to its groove. I've had one corrupted ESP but that was due to user error in not cleaning up a known problem in the Papyrus script before saving. I've had plenty of render-view objects not rendering but I quickly found out that even though invisible, they're still selectable; I simply delete and CTRL-Z the invisible mesh and it fails to disappear for the next 3 or 4 CK sessions; however, that F5 trick looks like something less foolproof. A few other problems I've had weren't exactly bugs but organization issues on Beth's part. i.e. I follow spells and use them as a base to create my own custom-effect spell. Following the premade spell I discover that some of the parts necessary to look at have the 'hidden' tag or run into a dead end that makes no sense.

Finally there have been the all-infamous CTD's some are random whilst others can be repeated.

I'm getting the navmesh generation crash as well. Trying to generate the navmesh for cells beyond the south east of skyrim (kinda into Morrowind) and it was working for a few cells and now it just keeps crashing :(

EDIT: Seems using Havok generation instead of Object is working for me.

Edited by Lazer382

The Ctrl-F feature in the level editor non-navmesh mode is mostly used for objects only in the same category, so loading anything outside that is a waste of time. It's 5 seconds for me though, even more on many's systems. Edited by GisleAune

"Buggy as heck" doesn't begin to describe the experience I've had. I was working on a large companion expansion that apparently went corrupt multiple times. Having to start over three times, and wasting 11 hours of my life, I decided to give up on it. So I tried a much simpler mod, adding only one NPC. Everything was going great with it, the NPC had a schedule, location, and cool fighting style without getting corrupt. I ran into no problems at all during testing it. I tested it on multiple save games, including two new games. There were no problems plain and simple. So I upload it to Steam, and Nexus, it gets favorited by people, and I call it a night. The next day I see a few people are having problems with it. I immediately go into testing again and notice that the mod was completely and utterly destroyed. The companion would no longer accompany the player, and kept saying "Looks like you already have someone with you." even when you have no followers. After not being able to get it to work today I've taken down my mod on all sites. There were no updates that can explain why this mod would work one day but not the next. My hats off to anyone who can complete any type of mod whatsoever with this incredibly schizophrenic Creation Kit. Edited by JTrockin

One thing that has driven me crazy while working with the CK is the BANNERS the box to click on them is HUGE. When ever I'm trying to click on something with a banner nearby I always end up clicking the banner.

Another is Navmesh. I once deleted a huge section on the bottom floor while I was working on the top floor. Didn't notice it till it was too late and the undo command for navmesh seems very limited.

Another major problem I've had is lighting. All lights with shadows stopped working in my mod and would just show up red. No matter what I do I can't get lights with shadow working in that cell now, it's terrible to find that out after you've spent 5 days building a mod. :wallbash:

One thing that has driven me crazy while working with the CK is the BANNERS the box to click on them is HUGE. When ever I'm trying to click on something with a banner nearby I always end up clicking the banner.

Another is Navmesh. I once deleted a huge section on the bottom floor while I was working on the top floor. Didn't notice it till it was too late and the undo command for navmesh seems very limited.

Another major problem I've had is lighting. All lights with shadows stopped working in my mod and would just show up red. No matter what I do I can't get lights with shadow working in that cell now, it's terrible to find that out after you've spent 5 days building a mod. :wallbash:

You can press 1 twice to hide objects from being selected. Helpful when working with mists and banners.

I feel your pain in the navmesh part, not that I deleted anything, but it was pretty f***ed up in the floor beneth the room I worked on it in my dungeon.

I've seen some lights turn up red. I've no problems with the Default_ lights though.

Edited by GisleAune

Has anyone noticed, that you can't use GetQuestVariable as Condition for message-buttons? Whe i open the dialogue first time, an error-message appears, that a field needs definition, and after selecting the quest(any quest) i can't select any variable 2.

This makes it near impossible to make a usable messagebox with Yes/No switch.

i have gotten in 22 hours of use for the creation kit and the only problems i have had are all user created and even then a few more hours of learning or work always created a better result then what i had lost

remember that mods are a learning experience and that you will always mess up and have to redo your work its just one side of modding :/