I did it! ~280 mods and DAO is running! \o/

Enkida

I really don't have anything else to say except that, but the only people who might even remotely care will be reading a Dragon Age forum, so there you go ;-)

So far the only major bug I've noticed is that I couldn't get most of the Models of Ferelden selected chargen headmorphs to work despite downloading the prerequisite texture files. But I'm not going to complain, since at least three of them do and you only need one to play a game :-)

*sits back and enjoys the fruit of my modding labor*

... and let me just say I don't know how I ever played this game without the light armor has pants + unisex armor mods. No more anatomically strange women collarbones and hands freaking me out! And no more painted shadows on crotches! *happy dance*

Edited by Thandal

@Andarus2; No, you can't use MO for DA mods. MO was designed for the Gamebryo engine, (then extended/expanded to handle the "Creation Engine" used for Skyrim. See this op/ed piece.) It only works for those BethSoft games.

But... See this article: Using DA Mods for Dummies. Once you get your head around the three basic types of DA mods, (and recognize when your browser has thought it was smarter than you and "corrected" the filenames of certain downloaded mods so that you have to change them back back) installing and using DA mods is pretty simple. The Nexus' own NMM even supports the majority of them directly; just not ".override" mods that require DAMM, or certain strangely packaged or "non-standard location" ones.

Finally, the thread Good Mods? is several years old now, but covers a large percentage of the ones that are worth having. While obviously what's "good" with mods that change appearance (of the PC or NPCs) are highly subjective choices, that thread concentrates on mods that fix bugs and improve (or at least change) gameplay.

[EDIT: Shameless plug for one of my favourites. Qwinn's Fix Pack v2.0 was released almost seven years ago. Qwinn then left DA modding soon after, and never even played DAA or any of the subsequent DLC. He's recently (this year) returned, and is almost finished with v3.0. Anyone who wants a peek under the covers at the kind of things true QA testers and Bug Fixers do should take the time to read his 550+ post Thread covering his day-to-day efforts.]

Edited by Thandal
Poiinting out a great WIP.

I. Origins Bugfixes

- this entire section will probably be nuked once Qwinn finishes his v3.0 fixpack. For now, here's what I used:

- tbc, but you can find all the info / links under the thread in ModTalk labelled "where did all the bugfixes go"

NB: I found that using AA - Addtional Adjustments caused a gamebreaking bug on loading the main camp module; I'm not sure what exactly it conflicted with, but it was the cause of many a CTD on camp load.

Edited by Enkida

II. Awakening Bugfixes

- this entire section will probably be nuked once Qwinn finishes his v3.0 fixpack. For now, here's what I used:

- tbc, but you can find all the info / links under the thread in ModTalk labelled "where did all the bugfixes go"

One huge caveat about Awakening mods - including the bugfixes - on an installation this huge: don't install them. I mean, prepare them, but don't actually enable the DAZIPS or override files you make in your game until you're *actually ready to play Awakening*. Some of the Awakening specific mods break things in the Origin game, and some of the Origin mods break things in Awakening. To keep it simple, just rename any mod dealing with Awakenings to have a _AW_[mod name] before it, whether it's a dazip or override file, and then you can keep things sorted easily and enable what you need to for whatever game you're playing in that moment.

Edited by Enkida