Construction set problem

I've run into a snag, While I can manually add mods to the game, once they are there, I can not make any changes to the mod using the construction set. I am running Windows 10 and the folder where Oblivion resides (C: Program Files (X86) is read only. I know how to change that, but it seems that once I make the change to a parent folder, and move deeper to make another change, the original folder switches back to read only. I've also tried making the change to program files (X86) and all files and folders, but still get blocked trying to make a change. I'm sure you can tell I'm not the most computer literate person around, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best advice is to uninstall the game completely and then re-install in a folder that is outside of UAC's grasp. The most common spot is C:\Games (and then all of your games are installed in sub-folders down from that ... e.g. C:\Games|Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion).

If you use Steam then make sure that Steam itself is installed in C:\Games.

What you are trying to do with changing read only won't work (UAC is taking care of that) and is more likely to create a balled up mess requiring a complete operating system re-install than solve anything.

If you have Steam, you can leave Steam itself inside the default installation directory under Program Files (x86). There is absolutely no need to move it, as far as I know. You can create a new Steam library folder outside Program Files (or even on another disk) and move the games into that one. For reference, I use Windows 10 too, and my Steam is inside the Program Files (x86) folder but all the games are installed on a separate 300GB HDD (internal HDD, my second-largest disk in the whole computer :tongue: ).

So to reiterate: you do not need to move Steam itself! There should be absolutely no need whatsoever to move Steam. I use Windows 10 and Steam works just fine in the default location under Program Files (x86). Just create a new Steam library folder somewhere else (you can create a new one in the Steam settings menu somewhere) and move the game there. If you move the game by cut+paste, then you also need to move the appmanifest or somesuch file for the game that is located one level up from the 'common' folder (as in, Oblivion is in "...\steamapps\common\Oblivion" and the appmanifest is in "...\steamapps\appmanifest_with_some_numbers" and you need to move both the game and the manifest file in the new Steam library path for Steam to find the game immediately without the need to redownload or rediscover the game files). I think the number in the manifest file name matches the Oblivion Steam app ID number so you could check that, to make sure you move the correct manifest file (edit: with the Steam app ID being the number that appears if you right-click the Oblivion game in your Steam library, choose to create a new desktop shortcut in the context menu, open the shortcut for editing, and the url in the shortcut is something like "steam applaunch some_number", cannot remember exactly, but the some_number in the url is the app ID).

Hopefully that helps. Just wanted to correct that Steam part of Striker's post. You do not need to move Steam, but you definitely should consider moving the game elsewhere, especially if you mod it (who doesn't?). :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix