Battlehorn Castle gate is bright yellow w/gray centerpiece

trog69

As I headed up the hill to Battlehorn Castle, I notice a great big patch of yellow, and thought "how the heck could a Oblivion gate open already, when I haven't even found Martin yet?". As I rounded the bend, I saw that it's the castle gate, itself. Bright yellow, with a gray central...um, I dunno what you'd call it, but it's inside the yellow part of the gate. After killing the marauders, I found that I could walk through the "gate" and the man-servant walked up and gave the standard greeting for the quest.

I only have the UOP, mod-patch, and the DLCs UOP installed via NMM. No other mods are installed. I've never seen anything like this before. Raising/lowering the gate by way of the handle does nothing.

DragonAviator talks about BSA fragmentation all the time on the Claudia's Little Secret thread. The DLCBattlehornCastle.bsa isn't huge by any means, but maybe it's fragmented right at that record and the game's having trouble reading it. Edited by Striker879

DragonAviator talks about BSA fragmentation all the time on the Claudia's Little Secret thread. The DLCBattlehornCastle.bsa isn't huge by any means, but maybe it's fragmented right at that record and the game's having trouble reading it.

I'll have to look up BSA fragmentation and see if that's the problem and how to fix it.

I went inside the castle, and the lights in the hallway between the 2 main rooms had the same yellow extending from them to the ceiling in a triangle, as the game would designate light, I guess. I unchecked the 3 patches and the gate was correctly shown, and the light anomalies were also gone.

DragonAviator talks about BSA fragmentation all the time on the Claudia's Little Secret thread. The DLCBattlehornCastle.bsa isn't huge by any means, but maybe it's fragmented right at that record and the game's having trouble reading it.

I'll have to look up BSA fragmentation and see if that's the problem and how to fix it.

I went inside the castle, and the lights in the hallway between the 2 main rooms had the same yellow extending from them to the ceiling in a triangle, as the game would designate light, I guess. I unchecked the 3 patches and the gate was correctly shown, and the light anomalies were also gone.

I've tried to re-sort the mods, but really it's not like there's a lot of complicated files here, and I'm not having any luck. I just don't know enough about using mods to...use mods. I appreciate the work done by those who've created the NMM, but even that is not "automatic' enough for someone as ignorant as I am.

Defragmenting a hard drive is done with either the defragging utility that comes bundled with Windows (found in All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter from the Start button in Windows Vista) or with a third party defragging utility. Either will make sure that the files on your hard disk occupy a contiguous area on your drive (in other words aren't broken into pieces and spread over whatever available spots there were on your drive when you installed the DLC).

Now that said, after reading your report of no problems without the UOPs then I tend towards an installation issue with the UOPs. Do a manual download of them and extract the archives with 7-Zip. Read the install instructions and do a manual install.

Defragmenting a hard drive is done with either the defragging utility that comes bundled with Windows (found in All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter from the Start button in Windows Vista) or with a third party defragging utility. Either will make sure that the files on your hard disk occupy a contiguous area on your drive (in other words aren't broken into pieces and spread over whatever available spots there were on your drive when you installed the DLC).

Now that said, after reading your report of no problems without the UOPs then I tend towards an installation issue with the UOPs. Do a manual download of them and extract the archives with 7-Zip. Read the install instructions and do a manual install.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I kinda figured that I would have to re-install them manually. The NMM works great for FNV, but I'm not getting any love with Oblivion so far.