3ds max vector displacement map

RazzySkittles

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone else who knows more then I could help me out. I've just barely started creating my first clothing mod for Skyrim and am in the very early stages. I've created it in 3ds max, exported it to mudbox, sculpted it and exported it back. In 3ds max, the map I am using is a vector displacement map. But I heard that as far as maps go for games like Skyrim a bump map, or a displacement map should be used rather then a vector displacement map. So I was wondering which should I use to keep the best quality of the sculpt but keeping it manageable for the game renderer?

This is an image of the Corset sculpt and textures I have made, the texture is not complete by any means and is still a work in progress.

Hi
nice work there
Unfortunately as far as I know Displacement maps or Bump maps(gray scale) are not supported at all in the Skyrim engine and so far no one used it.
Normal map or Model Space Normal map are required.
When it come to quality all maps are compressed with dxt1, dxt3 or dxt5 (but not required as sometimes they produce artifacts). SE supports BC7 which does reduce significant artifacts Read here

CL

Hi

nice work there

Unfortunately as far as I know Displacement maps or Bump maps(gray scale) are not supported at all in the Skyrim engine and so far no one used it.

Normal map or Model Space Normal map are required.

When it come to quality all maps are compressed with dxt1, dxt3 or dxt5 (but not required as sometimes they produce artifacts). SE supports BC7 which does reduce significant artifacts Read here

CL

Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful! :) I've already got a new normal map set up. :)