I'm pretty sure i'm missing something

BlindIo

new to the game. I have found the threads that describe installing mods, however they all say that you need to install FOMM and then load it that way. My problem is that whenever I try to do something in FOMM, it just closes and generates an error dump:

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 4:42:26 AM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at Fomm.PackageManager.FomodBuilder.FomodFromSourceBuilder.BuildFomodFromSource(String p_strPath, NexusAPI p_nxaNexus)
  at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.AddNewFomod(String p_strPath)
  at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.addFOMODToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.PerformClick()
  at Fomm.Controls.SplitButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at Fomm.Controls.SplitButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm used to installing mods by hand, so I'm not concerned about that, (also note, the noob guide on this site leads to a "not found" blank page) so if i can just find a guide that doesn't rely on FOMM like all my mods want, I would be a happy camper.

Go here and download and print: http://zumbs.wordpress.com/2009/11/08/fomm-and-fomods-for-dummies-1/

Also, make sure your Fallout is not installed where the UAC has control.

Fallout is installed in a C:\Games\Fallout3, so thats not the problem. Most of my problem stems from FOMM not working. It will load up, and i can get to the package manager, but every time I try to do something, like enter my user and pass for this site, or add a mod to the list, it just crashes. I'm on a 64bit Win7 install with an intel chipset. Nvidia card.... my system is pretty beefy, i just built it.

If you are using the current version of FOMM (0.13.21), try using an earlier version. Also, make sure you have an internet connection when you open Package Manager and instead of entering your information, just click Log In. If that doesn't work, create a folder in your "Games" directory for "Bethesda Softworks" and move your entire Fallout 3 file into it.

This would change your path to C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe.

If you are using the current version of FOMM (0.13.21), try using an earlier version. Also, make sure you have an internet connection when you open Package Manager and instead of entering your information, just click Log In. If that doesn't work, create a folder in your "Games" directory for "Bethesda Softworks" and move your entire Fallout 3 file into it.

This would change your path to C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe.

would not having SP1 be a problem? I thought i had everything installed, but it appears windows 7 wants to slowly install all the updates....

I moved it, and then the launcher broke, and so i moved it back, and now FOMM seems to work... My computer did update again. So I must have been missing some critical resource somewhere that FOMM relied on. I got the version I am using from the new vegas nexus. Anyway, problem solved, even though I have no clue what really happened. I bet it was the window updates.