Anyone else feel a little shafted at the ultimate edition release?

adman85

Hey there, I felt like it needed to be said, as I paid full price for New Vegas and all the DLC's (bar OWB which I got on a 75% sale on steam, and dead money, which I haven't bought yet)

I think New Vegas was around $70 when I got it, with the DLC at $12 a pop, or more, when they each came out.

It seems weird to me to be selling at such a ridiculous price ($40 i think) now. It's rewarding people who haven't bought the game yet, and basically slapping everyone else who has in the face. It even seems like people who had once pirated the game, may even buy a legit copy now, dirt cheap, just so they can access the extra stuff they couldn't before.

I don't mind spending money on a franchise like fallout, because I want it to keep going strong.

But after this marketing stunt, it got me asking.. Why even buy the game when it gets released? I can literally just pretend to myself, "whoops, that games release date got set back a year" and sure enough in a years time, I can get the game for less than 50% of the original price with all the trimmings along with a nifty signed hat! (free hat not included, but you see where i'm going with this?).

Or I could be what seems to be a "fanboy idiot" and pay 3x what I should because I want to support the franchise and be a "good customer" to the developing company.

Anyone else feel this way? Or the opposite? Or somewhere in between?

Eh, games come down in price, its kinda, common knowledge. I bought Fallout 3 Collectors Edition when it came out and never played it, when I finally got around to playing it a year later it was 50euro cheaper then when I'd bought it. I bought the physical version, but on steam, with all the dlc to that date it was on sale for 15euro and 3.99 for the dlc. Games will be dropped in price to get people who havent bought it yet or who might be short on case to actually buy it, it might be college students or people on social welfare who hadnt the cash to pick it up brand new. I rebought New Vegas on steam just because it was easier then finding my disc every time i wanted to reinstall.

If your gunna gripe (not saying you are but in general) about game prices coming down then dont buy them new and wait. I've spent silly amounts on collectors editions and gotten them on release day, most recently, SWTOR and i'd never resent or complain about the price unless it was dropped the week after initial release, which NEVER happens. Some people might agree with you but its the same as buying a new car, of course when you get it its gunna be expensive, and in a year or 2 its gunna be less, thats how the world works!

Eh, games come down in price, its kinda, common knowledge. I bought Fallout 3 Collectors Edition when it came out and never played it, when I finally got around to playing it a year later it was 50euro cheaper then when I'd bought it. I bought the physical version, but on steam, with all the dlc to that date it was on sale for 15euro and 3.99 for the dlc. Games will be dropped in price to get people who havent bought it yet or who might be short on case to actually buy it, it might be college students or people on social welfare who hadnt the cash to pick it up brand new. I rebought New Vegas on steam just because it was easier then finding my disc every time i wanted to reinstall.

If your gunna gripe (not saying you are but in general) about game prices coming down then dont buy them new and wait. I've spent silly amounts on collectors editions and gotten them on release day, most recently, SWTOR and i'd never resent or complain about the price unless it was dropped the week after initial release, which NEVER happens. Some people might agree with you but its the same as buying a new car, of course when you get it its gunna be expensive, and in a year or 2 its gunna be less, thats how the world works!

I agree that this notion seems to apply across all boards of consumerism, (I never buy the "top of the line" computer at the time of purchase, as I am well aware of planned obsolescence, and the knowledge that the capacity of computers basically doubles every 12 months) like your example with cars, a product designed for a specific time will soon be outdated by it's own nature.

But considering the only thing putting this game "out of date" is the release of better or newer games (in fact the longer you wait the more patches tend to come out, so you get a better "version" than the original payers got) it seems strange to get those who wait longer to pay less. With the almost "common knowledge" of this fact, games sales must be measured over a period of years since the initial release, and potential profit must be stifled somewhat in doing so. I figured the main goal would be to sell more copies quickly, than to wait and sell less copies for more, while slowly getting cheaper, by which stage the game itself may be considered "dated".

Personally, I am a student, so my monetary intake is very little, though I was able to afford New Vegas and the DLC I have with a bit of effort. I saved for these new fallout games like one would for a holiday, though on a much smaller scale obviously.

A better solution in my opinion, would be to open a "paid beta testing" or something along those lines for early release, then to make the "completed game" more expensive (but less for the beta testers of course). But this is considering the fact that a lot of games are released way too soon.

Edited by adman85

I have all the DLC including the preorder stuff. In my opinion they should of released the preorder stuff within the Gun Runners Arsenal and made Courier's Stash its own dlc with its own new weapons to add to the game. I can't see myself waiting a year to play a game with all of its dlc. DLC is the only reason people are buying this ultimate edition because it seems like a better deal, but waited 12 months for it. I personally get things as they are released, preorder if I can, I like to have all of my content and still feel like the DLC that was released for New Vegas and other games recently released these past couple of years is stuff that could have been in the main game to begin with and not something that adds something unique to the game like Operation Anchorage, Broken Steel or Point Lookout in Fallout 3.

I bought New Vegas and all of the DLC content on Steam several days before the Ultimate Edition was scheduled for release. I am not complaining, as I knew this and made the decision to buy it this way.

If everyone waited and did not purchase at initial release, there would be NO patches, NO DLCs, and certainly NO GOTY. Not to mention that the particular game franchise would be dead, and maybe the company would go out of business as well.

I ended up buying the game and the first 2 DLC during a steam sale. Then waited until the rest of the DLC was on sale after it was released.

Probably spent like 25$ for everything, and I know somewhere down the line the price will go even lower, but that doesn't bother me as it's well worth it, and I do want they devs to make SOME money from the purchase.

Its a matter of choice, you either get the game and play straight away when its initially released and pay top dollar or wait till the GOTY version comes out with all the DLC's thrown in.

Personally I get it on release and I'm regretting not getting the collectors edition as I've just joined a poker group and the NV cards & chips would have great to use. I believe in supporting the company that produce the games and they need that initial inflow of sales/cash from the release to justify the expense that's been invested into creating the game in the first place. It's all the bean counters really care about are the 1st months sales figures. Once they've shown they've made a profit then they don't care what happens after that. Sure they make more sales later on when the prices are discounted but they want the bang for their bucks right away.

For me its about enjoying the game now rather than waiting over a year to get hold of it and hearing how dam great it is from fellow gamers.