'World Map' texture - SOE location?

I am looking to extract and modify a poster for a mod I'm working on, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me locate it. :confused: The texture shows up in the SOE/DECORATION/POSTER category... it's labeled 'WORLD MAP' there. I have been searching for this texture using the BAE, to no avail. I've attached a screenie of the poster in question (in-game shot)... thanks for reading :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/ylELW1o.jpg

Isn't that from an installed mod?

you maybe right cause i needed that a few times myself and couldnt find it.

Maybe a part of the keywords mods or maybe even a art/poster mod

It might be included in this mod but it is a vanilla asset. It's a map from Fort Hagen...just used it last night.

Go to Static in the Object Window and filter for "map." It shows up as MapHagen...or something along those lines.

EDIT: MapHagen01

SetDressing\Signage\MapHagen01.nif

Thanks for the response. I'm coming from the graphic design world, and I'm new to tinkering with game assets... so I probably should have wrote "...a theme I'm working on".

It might be included in this mod but it is a vanilla asset. It's a map from Fort Hagen...just used it last night.

Go to Static in the Object Window and filter for "map." It shows up as MapHagen...or something along those lines.

EDIT: MapHagen01

SetDressing\Signage\MapHagen01.nif

I really appreciate this info. I have had success with making changes to .DDS files so far, but have not attempted any .nif work. I suspected this was a vanilla asset, as that is what SOE traffics in from what I can glean. Wouldn't this mean that the map in question exists somewhere in .DDS form (hopefully)? I'm going to make another run in my BAE hunt later tonight, using the ID you provided.

...apparently I completely glazed over the "SOE" part.

...but 'abbreviations', mer. =P

Sorry.

Sadly, dds's are not always easy to fin based on name alone, they can be oddly named. =/

Checking the nif itself is a good idea, it'll tell you exactly what the dds is (or, at least, point you to the material file which will tell you).

Ah! So installing NifSkope purely as a tool to ID texture files might be worth my time...

Definitely. It's like being in an in-game quest: The NIF leads you to the material file...the material file leads you to the texture...open the texture and...EUREKA! Level up! :laugh:

Like BlahBlahDEEBlahBlah mentioned, the naming conventions tend to be not-so-obvious.

Nifskope can also be a good thing to have to reassign a material/texture to get an idea of how your retexture will look on the object you're working with. You'll also need it to assign a new texture permanently if you're doing anything beyond a simple texture replacement, unless of course you make a material swap in the CK.

Thanks again for the assist here. Knowing that there are folks who are willing to field these newb questions of mine will definitely lead to ...scads more questions! :laugh: I'm thinking that I would still have a hell of a time connecting the dots to 'Fort Hagen' on that texture, even utilizing NifSkope. Certainly it would have driven me half-mad without bouncing the issue off the board here. The 'scope' of the challenges that lie ahead with ID'ing some of these assets seems formidable.

Edited by Guest