Buying Steam games.

Staind716

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For future reference all EULA are like this. Whenever you buy software you are buying a liscense for said software. The company of origin retains rights to it and if you break the EULA you will either have your rights to the software revoked or your support revoked. This is not news.

Also the op is clearly trying to stir up trouble with this post, something very close to trolling which is not viewed welcomely here.

How exactly was I trying to stir up trouble? By suggesting it is safer and better in my opinion to buy a hard copy? I must have missed the part where I suggested attacking Steam headquarters. I was reading a stupid article about virtual purchasing where Steam was mentioned as one example so I shared part of their download agreement on here and get assaulted for it. If anyone knows how to delete a thread I would be MORE than happy to.

Edited by Staind716

For future reference all EULA are like this. Whenever you buy software you are buying a liscense for said software. The company of origin retains rights to it and if you break the EULA you will either have your rights to the software revoked or your support revoked. This is not news.

Also the op is clearly trying to stir up trouble with this post, something very close to trolling which is not viewed welcomely here.

How exactly was I trying to stir up trouble? By suggesting it is safer and better in my opinion to buy a hard copy? I must have missed the part where I suggested attacking Steam headquarters. I was reading a stupid article about virtual purchasing where Steam was mentioned as one example so I shared part of their download agreement on here and get assaulted for it. If anyone knows how to delete a thread I would be MORE than happy to.

Actually you kind of said what needed saying in this case. As for me if the game isn't available from an online source I simply wouldn't be able to buy it. You are not stirring up trouble as far as I can see. The thing that just rips me to the bone though is the fact that the moment any topic like this comes up some smart ass has to start accusing people of piracy. Any of us that have been in the world of computers knows how the EULAs are set up and it was decided long ago that you don't own anything except basically a lease to use the product as long as you abide by the rules of the home owner's association. For me it is just the fact that the moment you say something that you should be able to use the product without having to connect to the mother ship the accusations and assumptions start flying.

Actually you kind of said what needed saying in this case. As for me if the game isn't available from an online source I simply wouldn't be able to buy it. You are not stirring up trouble as far as I can see. The thing that just rips me to the bone though is the fact that the moment any topic like this comes up some smart ass has to start accusing people of piracy. Any of us that have been in the world of computers knows how the EULAs are set up and it was decided long ago that you don't own anything except basically a lease to use the product as long as you abide by the rules of the home owner's association. For me it is just the fact that the moment you say something that you should be able to use the product without having to connect to the mother ship the accusations and assumptions start flying.

Thanks. At least somebody understood what my original purpose was in posting this. I wasn't trying to start a lot of controversy, just pointing out how it seems unfair to be at a company's mercy to use a product you paid for.

So i just got back into gaming a year or so ago and quickly found out how much it had changed. Now i have to have steam running to play almost all of the games that i like to play and if not steam then its origin or some other crap. Tried at first to buy the hard copy of games so i would not have to use 3rd party programs while i play but i guess that doesn't make a difference either. So if i want to continue to play the new games I have no choice then to put up with this crap and click the unfair contract. It sucks but we don't have a choice.

On another note i tried to buy an old game off steam last night and it would not go through at all so i waited till today and called my bank. "We have had to many fraudulent purchases through this sight so we will not authorize any transactions from them in the future." So what this means is I can't use my check card to buy anything from steam ever again. Well I guess that solved my problem with digital copies pretty fast.

Edited by cptnkill

Surprisingly no one exept this guy brought this point.

You ALWAYS buy a licence, NEVER own the actual game. If you owned the game, you'd had its source code for example. Since you dont own that, they licene it to you.

Steam is amazing, there were hundreds of suckers lining up for games in 2011, not me. Nor has steam ever stopped me from playing I game in the 8 + years I've been with them. Actually one time I lost my account, someone changed the email and all that, but I got it back in an hour it's all good. I hope you scratch your hard copy so you really have something to "show" for it.

yay another steam flame thread; not gonna read it but I'll just say this.

I DON'T CARE!!!! I'll play the game for as long as I play it and if they decide to cancel my license I'll just buy another. That's right. I'll buy another. Please people you play a game for 30 hours and then you play Skyrim for 200 hours (for me so far). Which is worth more? I'd buy those that are worth it multiple times. And those that aren't worth it? Well I won't play them again. I mean 30 hours are considered a lot in games nowadays. Dragon Age 2? Not even 30. Would I buy it again if I couldn't play it legally any more? No way in hell.

Steam is amazing, there were hundreds of suckers lining up for games in 2011, not me. Nor has steam ever stopped me from playing I game in the 8 + years I've been with them. Actually one time I lost my account, someone changed the email and all that, but I got it back in an hour it's all good. I hope you scratch your hard copy so you really have something to "show" for it.

You hope I scratch my hard copy huh? Real mature. Shouldn't you be in your kindergarten class right now instead of trolling?