Steam can kiss my grits

tVEC

So yea I installed the HiRes DLC textures when they came out, played with them for about 5 minutes then decided they looked no better than the old ones. Compared to textures like the Sexy textures line, SkyrimHD and Serious Landscape, they are total garbage. I unpacked them into folders in archives and used Mod Manager to install them, overwriting with the better texture mods, so the only DLC textures used were the ones that weren't covered by texture mods from Nexus.

So today, I got sick of having loading freezes whenever I load a save from in the game. So I went to verify the local content with Steam. I never thought of the DLC until the verify finished and began downloading the DLC again. I couldn't stop it- only pause it. Had to wait 35 minutes for the thing to finish and even then I cannot opt out of the crappy DLC. So now anytime I want to verify content I will have to put the DLC BSAa and ESPs in my game folder from my storage drive. I use a 60GB SSD for my game drive and cannot afford to keep 3GB of unused data on it.

What a scam! It's so ironic that a game without boundaries in which you can do anything you want is governed by a draconian program that prevents you from changing your mind. Their attempt to out do Nexus with 1-click modding removes flexibility and options when adding mods. With steam, everytime you click the Skyrim launcher your steam mods get taken out of your load order. Then you have to refer to the BOSSlog to see where they go. I believe steam is going to regret not giving players better options because it will drive them away. I'm gonna stick with good ol Nexus from now on and keep Steam in ever offline mode.

Edited by tVEC

I agree the official skyrim HD textures is the biggest 3gbs of garbage I've seen in a long time. Whoever was actually expecting a decent official HD texture pack will be very disappointed. Its nowhere near as good as even the HD textures Bioware released for Dragon Age 2 which were actually a pretty good improvement.

You are wise, OP. Believe me it gives me no pleasure to be proved right about Steam and mods being a bad thing, it's doing exactly what people like me said it would - making load order a nightmare and messing with everything.

the thing is no matter what you do, no matter how much you complain and protest steam there is nothing that you will be able to do about it, steam will always be there no matter what you do, for the simple fact that they have money and you do not, and as always the little people must obey the rules set in place by those above them, they do not care about how the service works, they do not care if you like it or not, they only care that they keep making money so they stay in power, unlike here on the nexus sites which needs user input, which was built on user input, steam is a company that doesnt "need" you for their business they make money weather you buy their games or not

the thing is no matter what you do, no matter how much you complain and protest steam there is nothing that you will be able to do about it, steam will always be there no matter what you do, for the simple fact that they have money and you do not, and as always the little people must obey the rules set in place by those above them, they do not care about how the service works, they do not care if you like it or not, they only care that they keep making money so they stay in power, unlike here on the nexus sites which needs user input, which was built on user input, steam is a company that doesnt "need" you for their business they make money weather you buy their games or not

LOL sounds like Steam is run by the Feds.

Honestly, I do not condone game pirating or theft but I can understand why some do it.

on the surface they are, they have money and power you dont, they dont care if dont dont like it at all, the only way they we could get any sort of reaction out of them would be if the entirety of the game population were to boycott steam and steam linked games, and lets face it that would never happen.

and i dont condone piracy either but unfortunately steam and programs like it are pushing more and more people towards it