Help creating a custom magazine that gives the player a perk point

I've started by duplicating a magazine that doesn't appear to be used and changing the ID. I know I need to use the AddPerkPoints function, but I have no idea how to make the item run that function. I tried adding a Papyrus script for it, but I don't know how to make it work.

I've recently done something similar with a custom magazine that unlocks a new cooking recipe. I started by looking at how perks were added by vanilla magazines. They are added via the PerksQuest. I created a new quest and just followed the vanilla PerksQuest structure. The perk you want to add will be set up as a fragment in a quest stage that activates when the player add the magazine to their inventory. One of the vanilla mags that adds a perk should give you the fragment structure you need to use for yours.

EDIT: You also need to attach the vanilla magazine script to your magazine, then assign the stage with your fragment as a property. Thay way it your mag will be tied to the quest you make. Again, look at a vanilla mag...I can't remember the script name off hand.

I've recently done something similar with a custom magazine that unlocks a new cooking recipe. I started by looking at how perks were added by vanilla magazines. They are added via the PerksQuest. I created a new quest and just followed the vanilla PerksQuest structure. The perk you want to add will be set up as a fragment in a quest stage that activates when the player add the magazine to their inventory. One of the vanilla mags that adds a perk should give you the fragment structure you need to use for yours.

EDIT: You also need to attach the vanilla magazine script to your magazine, then assign the stage with your fragment as a property. Thay way it your mag will be tied to the quest you make. Again, look at a vanilla mag...I can't remember the script name off hand.

Though that is useful, I'm not trying to add a perk with the magazine, but rather a perk point that can be spent in the level up menu. Would this method work for that as well?

I don't see why not.

EDIT: If you want to give a specific perk point that YOU are determining, the magazine/quest method should work.

If you want the player to chose their own skill to assign the perk to, look at the SPECIAL baby book you find in Sanctuary. You might be able to just swap the mesh to do what you want...maybe?

I too am interested to know if its possible/how in the CK to attach perk points to a weapon attachment.

Attaching perk points to a weapon attachment? What exactly do you hope to achieve by that?

I meant more like being able to add extra perks like more hit points to a player health, increase sneaking ability, something along those lines. Not a perk point you'd spend when leveling up.

I'm not just talking about SPECIAL points. I'm trying to make it so that when you pick up this magazine, it adds a point that you can spend in the perk menu, as if you had leveled up. There is a function for this, AddPerkPoints(int aiPerkPoints) in the Creation kit. I just want to know if there is a method to run this function when you pick up the magazine.