Scripting

galelyan

Anyone know where I could learn some of the more complicated scripting stuff? for example i've wanted to script a pedestal that charges your enchanted weapons when you activate it, just like the pedestal for the pale blade. The Bethesda tutorials only take me so far.

Taking a look at some of the existing scripts (their sources came with the Creation Kit) would be a good start, if you don't mind doing a bit of reverse engineering. Also take a look through the pages in the Papyrus category on the wiki - it's very useful to keep open so you can quickly search for keywords if you don't know whether or not a certain function exists.

I don't know how you could charge enchanted items via script, but if you can find that pedestal you mentioned in the Creation Kit you would hopefully be able to figure out how it was done, and reproduce something similar.

Cipscis

The pedestal for the Pale Blade doesn't charge the sword, it triggers the Pale Lady wispmother when it is off and disables her when its on the pedestal. The only thing I can think of is a script to remove/destroy the old one and place a new copy on the stand, then when you take it you add a new copy to your inventory, like how the Dragon Priest Masks work on the Dragon Pedestal. Of course this renders and improvements you do through tempering null.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Pale_Lady

the very last point in the notes section confirms that you can, so i assumed there was a script, but I've had trouble locating where the script might be hidden. Also, I noticed that you can't view already existing scripts line by line except through wordpad. Reverse engineering the code did occur to me, but wordpad makes it tricky because when i open scripts using that they're formatted strangely, some lines are offset from other lines and im not sure how that would affect things.

If you follow this tutorial to setup the scripts in Notepad++ it will allow for syntax highlighting to make the scripts easier to read. If you want to know where scripts lead and what scripts are related I suggest getting the Skyrim Script Dumper

I can't really point you in any direction to tutorials because there are none other than whats on the Creation Kit website. I excel at this language because I've been a programmer for eight years and at this point all languages are really the same, just different syntax. Looking at the scripting references and examples is enough to learn the language.

Edited by expired6978

Ok, I see why the wiki has that statement. Placing the blade on the pedestal does the exact same thing as placing a mask on its DP bust. It removes the one from your inventory and when you take it, puts a new copy back in your inventory. With the Pale Blade it's literally giving the illusion of recharging. The problem is that if you temper the sword, when you place it on the pedestal, this new copy you get back when you take it won't have the tempering anymore (because it's literally a new copy).

ahh ok, thanks for clearing up the confusion over the pale blade Sunnie, guess i would need to start totally from scratch then.

Thanks for the link expired6978, i guess my scripting plans will have to wait until i find time to study everything then.