Oblivion locking up

RazaCovek

The game is perfect, up to eight hours without ctd. I have been playing the game for 241 hours without incident, no mods added during game. All markers uncovered. Thieve's Guild, Arena, Fighter's Guild, all misc quest done except White Stallion. I follow the quests to the letter. I use Wiki as reference. Yet, after successfully completing the White Stallion/orc knight, I found that the game would freeze to a point that I had to turn off the computer the hard way to gain control whenever I fast travel or transition from outdoors into towns. I went back to a previous primary save before the quest and the above problem becomes random. Same with Morrowind, the closer I get to the end of the game, the more it breaks down.

Is it common for the game to fall apart after a few weeks of playing?

Is it common for the game to fall apart after a few weeks of playing?

No, but corrupted saves are quite common for Bethesda's games (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and now Skyrim as well). That's why I always create a new save, that way it's possible to return to any point in the game, in case that happens.

Try loading an older save (much older) and see if the problem persists.

I use Streamline with 8 slots, auto, quick, plus a dozen root [after-quest] saves. I will try the above. I don't enjoy trudging through the same quests over and over. is there a tool for cleaning saves?

I deleted all saves except the primary root save. I tried to expand Streamline to 50 slots but, that only works if you start a new game. I decided to do New Save to avoid overwrites. Unless the Mazoga quest is done to the letter, the game begins to breakdown regardless of New Saves.

I don't have any experience with Streamline, so I don't know how effective it is at 'correcting' some of the vanilla game's saves shortcomings, but early on I was in the 'crash-a-lot' category. I stopped using quicksave, never overwrite a save and only use an autosave when I'd lose more progress than I care to lose. My original character has over 1300 hours, has been there, done that on all questlines except the Dark Brotherhood and the final quests for the arena (Grand Champion and Origin of the Gray Prince). Granted I don't run a bunch of mods, and the ones I do use are mostly houses, companions and armor (in other words no FCOM or the like). My point is, the game will work for long running characters but you need to pamper it a bit to get there.

In addition to no quicksave or overwrites, I also never load a save without exiting the game to the desktop first, try to remember to save a least once an hour and after about three hours of play I save and exit to the desktop. Yes I still get the occasional CTD, but it's not frequent, and typically it occurs under certain circumstances (for instance when I cast the BBB Designer Body Spell on an NPC who has cast bound weapon on themselves ... the body spell ends their bound spell and CTD).

Streamline has nothing to do with the game locking up at cell transitions. "Streamline enhances the performance of Oblivion by reducing stuttering and lag, and smoothing out gameplay. It does this by maintaining much cleaner cell buffer and video ram caches while the game is running and the player is moving from place to place." It also has auto and stream save every 10 minutes. Most of the mods are performance enhancers.I have no mods that affect the towns except HGEC and increased merchant money. I have absolutely no mod problems, the game is perfect with an average of six hours before CTD (2 gig ram limit) or when I get bored. Inspite the perfect record, I lost access to every town after completing the White Stallion, so I went back and started the KoTN and lost access to Leyawiin (like Morrowind, 240 hours into the game). I decide to start over, remove some redundant mods and maximize the Streamline save slots to eliminate overwrites (60 max then delete 40 to keep clean saves) and use New Save more often. How does exiting Oblivion affect saves? Edited by RazaCovek

First I'm by no means an expert. I've done quite a bit of reading, in generally reputable sources, and have assembled something that has worked for me. Would things like Streamline make my game even more stable? Maybe, but to date I haven't run into anything that urged me in that direction.

I recall a comment I read early on in Wyre's Musings ... he was commenting on how many things the game was doing when saving (obviously there must have been a little code disassembly going on there ... for research purposes of course). My theory/reasoning behind the quit to desktop thing is as follows (and here again, this is not an invention of mine but something I've picked up in my reading). If the game is accumulating unneeded gamestate garbage along with significant gamestate conditions in memory while you're playing, and if it flushes that insignificant stuff when you save and then exit, you are getting a 'clean slate' to accumulate the next bunch of gamestate changes on. Is that all smoke and hockum? Could very well be so. Does saving and quitting to the desktop every few hours create any additional problems ... I don't think so.

Like I said, I've assembled a method that works for me ... your mileage may differ.

Well it doesn't matter now, I clicked a button in Obmm and inadvertently deleted some files so i had to reinstall the game from scratch. I fear that my perfect game was a one time flook.

IMHO, the only worthwhile features of Streamline are Streampurge and Streamsave. It's other features are really only designed for very old computers that just manage to run oblivion and Streamline makes those computers play smoother. If you have a relatively decent setup, using the other features of streamline often result in a reduction of quality without any performance improvement. In fact it can make performance worse. Despite what streamline says, it really isn't an FPS booster. Oblivion Stutter Remover does that far better. Aside from the two aforementioned features I mentioned, I would actually be loathe to turn on Streamline's other features as they make changes to Oblivion's ini file. As changes to the ini file can cause crashes, save-game corruption and other undesirable things, you can see where I'm coming from. Also from what I can tell, Streamsave's saves are only safer than Oblivion's autosaves and quicksaves by virtue of the cell purging done by Streampurge. Edited by ContagiousCure