Custom Collsion Help

cecil101

I need help learning how to make collsion work with custom models.... I'm really flying blind here, so any help will be appritiated :)

I use blender 2.49 and latest nifskope.

So, if anyone knows how to make custom collision work in skyrim please tell, or link a tutorial.

I posted this in response to a thread on Bethesda forums and it might apply here also for future reference.

I plan writing a detailed tutorial, but this may be useful for those struggling in the meantime.

I'm assuming familiarity with NifSkope, NifTools 3ds Max plugin and 3DS Max.

There are several way to get collision into CK.

Export from 3DS Max:

- Clone your mesh, reduce your clone to approx 8% of main mesh size; Reset XForm

- Add bhkRigidBodyModfier modify to clone and give it a Convex Shape

- Add bhkRigidBody Helper and reference the clone; uncheck "Allow Transforms"

- Export as nif

- Open (in NifSkope) one of the few Skyrim models having Convex Shape collision mesh (one of them is in meshes\architecture\riften\animated\mausoleum\rtmausoleumdoor01.nif)

- Open your exported file in another instance of NifSkope

- You need to copy your exported mesh data over to the vanilla file like this:

1. Block Copy (not branch) your bhkConvexVerticesShape and Paste at the root level into vanilla

2. Select vanilla collision bhkRigidBody and in Block Details, change the Shape Ref to your pasted bhkConvexVerticesShape

3. Delete the old bhkConvexVerticesShape (it will have switched position with your version)

4. Copy your mesh NiTriShapeData and Paste Over one of the vanilla NiTriShapeData shapes.

5. Remove any extra nodes that you don't need, or create new ones if required

6. Make sure your NiTriShapeData shapes have "Has Vertex Colors" = yes

7. Set your bhkConvexVerticesShape to Radius = 1.0

8. Save and use

I probably misssed a few steps, but that's the essence of it. Once you get the hang of it, you become adept at creating, modifying and re-arranging things in NifSkope.

Different object types require slightly different procedures in NifSkope, but the above applies to Collision Meshes

Contrary to what I've read elsewhere, there is no exact sizing reduction for the Convex Shape in 3DS. Depending on your object size and shape, the reduction can be anywhere from 5% to 10%. Trial and error is the word here.

You can do similar procedure for box shapes, by examining existing vanilla box nif's (there are a few of them)

Create Collision objects in CK:

This works well for objects that can easily be represented with block shapes. Houses often qualify for Collision Cube construction

Collision Sphere and Plane can be useful depending on object shape.

I tend to use a combination of Convex Shape from 3DS and Collision Cube in CK.

• 2 months later...
- Clone your mesh, reduce your clone to approx 8% of main mesh size; Reset XForm

I take it you do mean to reduce it BY approx 8% and not TO as this would be tiny!!!

No, I meant what I said. The resulting collision mesh is tiny (approx 8%). :biggrin: