Need help with pipboy lighting "glitch" ?

happyshakra

So, I need help with a shadow effect that I have since... always. Just please look at the picture and tell me if it can be fixed ? these black chunks of shadow appear when using the pipboy or power armor light, on any surface; I see almost no one complaining about it. I don't know if its actually a graphic bug or glitch, or if it is purely an engine issue... anyway, I find this painful to the eye and if someone know how to get rid of it, that would be awesome.

http://imgur.com/a/c4IqW

thanks !

indeed, that is an interesting photo-optic fringing effect...

does this happen around every texture in the game, or only near certain objects and places?

are you running a mid, or high end install?

how is your mod load order - do you have a spoiler partition with a brief mod list for perusal?

does this gradually appear while you're playing - ie, from startup of computer and load of game, it is fine for 2 hours,

and then this artifacting appears? - if that's the case, it might be driver mismatch or hardware too.

This may be related to the weirdness that B2-D-b2 reported in a similarly themed thread about

the fading of some objects when some effects and conditionals were applied...

that artifacting jaggedness was also observed on translucent NPCs...

I detect unintentional but awesome plasmonic diffraction when using the UV-Blacklight pipboy light mod... seriously,

when you use the blacklight pipboy light or blacklight Enclave helmet light, it causes that weird diffraction fringing too.

let alone, if I shine that at a high-refractive modded glass surface decal. That can cause chugging even on high-end,

and makes weird leibniz gasket diffractions or shadows...

is it possible that you used that mod, and later uninstalled it? that could cause significant artifacting, as it changes the texture map for the light.

did you use any reshader mods ie "borderlands of the wasteland"

or any cartoon-y or hyper-realistic shaders etc?

they can also cause weird shenanigans to happen.

if installed with steam, have you tried re-verifying and updating the texture partition?

maybe there is a missing or corrupted pipboy light texture somehow...

thanks for sharing this real what the?!,

and I will be intrigued to find out more about this,

and to see what other folks like Purr4Me have to reflect on this sorta stuff.

first, english isn't my native language, so you're slightly confusing me with some technical terms, but its okay, really. I just hope I usually choose the right words.

well, I could post my mod list, but I think I've seen this effect with no mods at all, not really sure because a few days after I bought the game, I started modding it... having a pipboy flashlight mod only made this more visible, I think ? it's akkalat85's Pip-Boy Flashlight mod (10840)

It looks intentional, only exagerated. like the normal maps of the engine itself are simply f*#@ed by something, their transparency is probably messed up because of a mod, as you say. maybe it's originally supposed to be a lot dimmer ? anyway, to begin with, the pipboy light is green, so these black bits blended somehow way better than with a white light (obviously) I've seen numerous pictures with this, even on modders images to illustrate their mods, and I never saw anyone pointing that out, it's like people are just aware of it and don't seem to be bothered, thus I sometimes think it just happens to be like that. but there's also lots of images where someone has either a flashlight mod or the vanilla pipboy light, and these black shadows effect won't appear.

I use a simple reshade preset, I can't remember the name. it merely makes the game darker, there's no fancy effect like a cell shader or something.

as for the rest, my rig is modest (i5-4460, 16gb ram, gtx 980...) checking for files integrity in steam gives no error, and I have the habit of defragmenting my games HDD pretty frequently, so I don't think some files may be corrupted

Well, I won't go into the technicals but it should go away when you turn HBAO off.

We are talking about that shadowy effect that makes the walls/ground seems 3D and bumpy right?

It's seems to me that it is a simulated shadow effect on the texture maps, using physical shadows, which I attribute to being calculated by AO system. I am not sure if there is any parallax going on that could produce it, never looked into that. I only noticed it after installing ENB actually but have not tried without, I am usually pretty OCd about things like shimmering etc but this is something I haven't cared about. In saying that I am not using any custom effects in ENB at all, just fake light fix really. I do have a simple reshade that kills tonemapping but that's about it.

If I get a chance to play the game tonight I'll have a play with some of the settings again.