Error-No main menu music

graytiti

Hello,

I've recently installed Oblivion on my Windows 7 x64 system with no mods/expansion packs. I opened the game, and saw that there was no music playing.

I've installed K-Lite Basic Codec Pack, tried to disable and enable codecs,but it's not working.

Any solutions?

PD:Sorry about my english,not my native language :P

With the K-Lite uninstalled try letting the game recreate your Oblivion.ini file (rediscover your hardware). Before you do that go into your sound control panel and turn off any effects you may have active (concert hall for example). After turning off any effects check in game for improvement (on the off chance that is the problem).

To get the game to recreate your ini you'll need to rename your current Oblivion.ini to Oblivionini.old. The file you're looking for is located in the folder Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Vista and Win 7 or the folder Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Win XP, NOT the file Oblivion_default.ini that is found in the Oblivion folder of your game install. After renaming the file start the game as far as the menu and then exit. Restart the game and you'll probably need to reset your video settings (the game doesn't do a good job of discovering video hardware that hadn't even been dreamed of back when the game was developed).

- Edit - While on the subject of the Oblivion.ini file, here's an excerpt from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide covering the tweaks for sound:

[Audio Variables]

bDSoundHWAcceleration=1 - If set to 1, uses hardware acceleration (i.e. your sound card) to reproduce audio. This provides the best audio quality, however if you are having problems such as odd crashes, you can try a value of 0 to disable hardware sound acceleration.

bMusicEnabled=1 - If set to 0, turns off all background music. This will detract from the atmosphere of the game, but can noticeably improve stuttering on some systems, as background music dynamically loads throughout the game.

bSoundEnabled=1 - If set to 0, turns off all sound effects, but does not affect music. This would be an extreme way of gaining performance or reducing crashes and is not recommended for anything other than troubleshooting purposes.

fMainMenuMusicVolume=0.6000 - The main menu music volume can't be adjusted anywhere in the game, except by using the Master Volume slider (which then affects all sound/music). To alter the menu music volume independently, change the value here.

iMaxImpactSoundCount=32 - This option determines the maximum number of channels used for different sound effects. Reduce it 24 or 16 to remove some of the sound effects in return for a performance boost and stuttering reduction. Note however that this setting can crash your system if set too low, particularly with hardware acceleration enabled.

Edited by Striker879

If you're just getting started with the game on Windows 7 we should maybe go right back to the start, to make sure you're getting off on the right foot. Oblivion was developed long before anyone at Microsoft dreamed of that wonderful security feature called User Account Control (UAC). Oblivion + UAC = Trouble (note the capital 'T'). If you install the game in the default location on Win 7 or Vista you're bound for conflicts with UAC (it protects C:\Program Files with an iron fist). The bright side is UAC doesn't give a rat's a$$ about any folder you create. If the game is installed in C:\Games\Oblivion it will completely ignore it, and therein lies the solution to the 'UAC problem'.

If in fact you are currently installed in C:\Program Files (x86) follow the steps outlined in Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. If you use the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top about moving your Steam install location, and don't skip the registry cleaning step ... it's important.

Give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

If you're just getting started with the game on Windows 7 we should maybe go right back to the start, to make sure you're getting off on the right foot. Oblivion was developed long before anyone at Microsoft dreamed of that wonderful security feature called User Account Control (UAC). Oblivion + UAC = Trouble (note the capital 'T'). If you install the game in the default location on Win 7 or Vista you're bound for conflicts with UAC (it protects C:\Program Files with an iron fist). The bright side is UAC doesn't give a rat's a$$ about any folder you create. If the game is installed in C:\Games\Oblivion it will completely ignore it, and therein lies the solution to the 'UAC problem'.

If in fact you are currently installed in C:\Program Files (x86) follow the steps outlined in Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. If you use the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top about moving your Steam install location, and don't skip the registry cleaning step ... it's important.

Give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

Ok, so i've tried following all the steps, but it's not working.

I can't find any similar problems, so i still asking

Any more ideas?