Where do upgrades come from?

Moksha8088

1. I've been curious as to such armor upgrades as color, decals, armor index come from when I see them at the workbench. What mods provide these items?

2. Is it possible to add legendary effects to items? If so, how?

If you answer either of these questions, the first one is of greatest curiosity to me.

Keywords. With linings its Mod Association keywords, Object Mods are attached to these keywords and it's these Object Mods which apply effects like radiation resistance.

Not sure about colors, but it might be it's using the color patellae texture in some OMs since I see in the material OMs "fColorRemappingIndex."

I assume that AWCKR and Armorsmith Extended have made the categories for Primary and Secondary Color, Decals, and Armor Index available for adding to inventory items, but it always indicates these changes are not available. Are there some mods that enable these items?

It depends on what you're trying to add.

some of them are deliberately inaccessible from in-game, so as to prevent you stumbling across monstrous NPC's armed with over-powered gear,

without having to faff with level lists etc.

see the MK 22wh 50cal gun v1 implementation;

you'd die every 5 minutes from stumbling across a 50cal wielding level 3 baddy.

stuff like "X-ray peepers" for the X01 helmet etc,

they're doubly restricted, as your game would melt if there'd be lots of people running around with that,

or the blacklight headlamp/pipboy torch mod.

the game chugs as is with just 1 instance of either hehe.

as to adding effects to weapons,

you can add up to ~60 odd,

by appending the instance refID number's "table of fail";

consider the sniper I've often shared an image of hehe, 4 suppressors, or, 2 stabilizers and 2 suppressors hehe.

or "Goodman's Gru-Bleen alien blaster" - i "cheat" and put 2 invisible stabilizers on it.

for armor, I think you can stably add ~20-30...

depending of course on what each does.

the "hologram" texture animation surface - see "COD Infinite Warfare" for an idea of what weapon and armor textures could resemble,

I don't recommend adding a lot of stuff to those,

or to the 'cloaking device' in your Live-Enabled or multiplayer FO4...

some weapons mods on clothing,

such as the "alternate fire overcharge backpack',

they're very much based on the JunkJet hidden container method,

and that's how you get the temporary perk for 30 seconds of unlimited ammo for any energy weapon you equip

while wearing the torso with the 'energy backpack',

without needing to make a proper perk tree addon etc.

this is also how

the Protectron armor disguise

allows you to use melee unarmed heavy attack as a 'free' energy lazer blast attack.

its a weapon mod applied to the arm part of the protectron armor disguise.

This seems a very under-explored area thus far in mods...

I imagine v3 of that "SuperDooper Guy" mod,

which allows you to fly, have heat vision etc,

will be applying vehicle effects to a cape instance or armor,

and toggleable on the fly 'perk' or special magic condition,

to allow you to choose to fly or not etc.

We need to get vehicles working properly first, before we really get to sinking our teeth into

that kind of shtuff hehe.

Since the categories for primary and secondary color swap, decal swap, and armor index exist and nobody seems to have a clear answer as to what mods are associated with them, I will assume they are the result of an error on the part of AWCKR and Armorsmith Extended. Maybe they were features they intended to add but never got around to it or something like that.

Can't say I've seen many mods that use these items from AWKCR, Custom Combat Armor comes to mind though.

I believe they have a plugin now that hides these categories on the AWKCR page.