Can Paid and Free Mods Coexist?

Fkemman11

@ Reneer

Yeah off on the numbers too. At least I will admit when I screw up. Am I wrong about these being paid somethings as well? Not mods that seem very similar to the free mods here. And why can't I lie or exaggerate? Doesn't seem to bother Beth/Zen!! These aren't mods. These aren't dlc. These are "new". These certainly are paid for by the consumer- whatever the hell they are. Why do you think what they are doing is on the up? Many people are upset with the CC's very existence- much less the way it was implemented. They see the end of free modding. What do you see?

I don't see the end of free modding, for one. That would be pure insanity on Bethesda's part - they would be killing the goose that laid the golden eggs, as it were. No free mods = no mod author pool that Bethesda can get new mod authors from to work for their Creation Club.

And I think what they are doing is "on the up" because I've been in the community for over a decade now. Bethesda screws up a lot. They make mistakes constantly. But the one thing they have never done is abandon the modding community. They have released free tools for 15 years, starting with Morrowind, and have continued that tradition. I have little faith in Bethesda getting things right their first try - but usually they right the ship and figure things out, eventually. It just takes them a long time. The CC has been out for less than two weeks. People need to give it some time and realize that CC will only be successful if the majority of players buy into it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Reneer

Yeah off on the numbers too. At least I will admit when I screw up. Am I wrong about these being paid somethings as well? Not mods that seem very similar to the free mods here. And why can't I lie or exaggerate? Doesn't seem to bother Beth/Zen!! These aren't mods. These aren't dlc. These are "new". These certainly are paid for by the consumer- whatever the hell they are. Why do you think what they are doing is on the up? Many people are upset with the CC's very existence- much less the way it was implemented. They see the end of free modding. What do you see?

I don't see the end of free modding, for one. That would be pure insanity on Bethesda's part - they would be killing the goose that laid the golden eggs, as it were. No free mods = no mod author pool that Bethesda can get new mod authors from to work for their Creation Club.

And I think what they are doing is "on the up" because I've been in the community for over a decade now. Bethesda screws up a lot. They make mistakes constantly. But the one thing they have never done is abandon the modding community. They have released free tools for 15 years, starting with Morrowind, and have continued that tradition. I have little faith in Bethesda getting things right their first try - but usually they right the ship and figure things out, eventually. It just takes them a long time. The CC has been out for less than two weeks. People need to give it some time and realize that CC will only be successful if the majority of players buy into it.

What about the problems with the script extenders needing to constantly be updated- and therefore mods as well? How do you think they might solve that? Many people have already reported problems. How many things will be withheld from future releases to be purchased in CC? You would say none probably- and I'm not sure I would believe you or them. In short- you trust them it seems. I do not.

What about the problems with the script extenders needing to constantly be updated- and therefore mods as well? How do you think they might solve that? Many people have already reported problems. How many things will be withheld from future releases to be purchased in CC? You would say none probably- and I'm not sure I would believe you or them. In short- you trust them it seems. I do not.

That problem is literally as old as the script extenders themselves. Every time Bethesda patches the executable file, the script extenders have to be updated. It's just how they work and it's nothing new. And I have no idea what you mean by things "withheld" from future releases. Things like what?

Also if mod authors put in the effort in their mods it is 100% possible to check to see if a script extender is installed or not from within the game. Once that's accomplished the mod author can enable / disable features as necessary, thus making it less of a hassle for mod users.

Edited by Reneer