Game Chrashing more often then it should

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you don't have to use an older OS. But the later versions have a "compatibility mode" property you can apply to a program/executable so Win10 for instance will behave more like it did in Vista SP2. And in 2010 when the game was designed, Vista was the target OS it was designed for. SP2 fixed a number of issues the original release had, and that is one of the compatibility modes.

This is similar to the issue with DirectX on Win10. The provided DX11 library is backwards compatible with DX9, but the game is not looking for DX11 files. It is looking specifically for DX9 files. Please see the 'Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup ' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide for more on this, though it does not appear to be related to your current problem.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Random question is there any diffrence between running the game through it's normal launcher and nvse launcher?
P.S: I did what you said except the commit limit 'cause for the love of god I can't figure out what to do I know where to find it but I don't know what is the right number to put in.

Edited by skyrimguy14164

The "right number" would be what is committed when your game (or usual load) is loaded.

The normal launcher does not know about or start NVSE. The NVSE_Launcher does. You only need to use the vanilla game launcher the very first time, so it builds your "Pref" INI file with your hardware configuration. After that, always use the NVSE version.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

When you reload a save game, is it from the desktop every time? Please see the 'Fourth Rule: Reloading "save game" files' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

As for what your problem with the game is, my guess would be that you rushed into things, installing a bunch of mods without prioritizing or testing each first. A stable game takes time to build and attention to details. The "General Advice" article is intended to provide that guidance. The 'Solutions to Performance problems' and 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide should take care of any issues that surface in early testing. I spent two weeks reading up and installing my initial game, and have had basically no problems since that could not be traced back to a particular mod, with an old Intel I3 core, 8GB Ram Win7 rig and 400 hours into the game. (I spend much more time on the forum than playing.) It can be done.

If you are using a 4GB patch, then the game using 3GB is not a problem as long as you have sufficient RAM for both the game and the OS. That is the purpose of the patch.

The original load order you posted back in post #1 was only 94 plugins, which should not be "too many".

Graphical mods exact a toll that is not easily measured. Which is why the "General Advice" article recommends you add them last, after you have determined the rest of your game is stable.

If you can't stand the current game problems, then you need to seriously consider starting over and building the game according to the "General Advice" article: installing and testing your priority mods one at a time.

-Dubious-