Game Chrashing more often then it should

That is a C++ runtime error. It's indicating a programming error. Mods (generally that I am aware of) don't use C++. The game does, and as this hasn't occurred before it's not likely to be the game. First, try a "power cycle": shutdown the computer to a "powered off" state, wait 30 seconds, and then reboot. See if the problem repeats. If it does, see "How to Fix Runtime Errors".

Software problems tend to be repeatable. (Bad code will fail at the same point.) Hardware problems tend to be sporadic and unpredictable, except when a component fails completely. No one wants to hear this, but it happens and as you seem to be having an escalation of varied problems, you need to consider if you might be having either an overheating problem, or memory chip failure. Some independent computer shops (not "big box" stores) will run a diagnostic for free, enough to tell you if there are any obvious hardware problems. If your box is still under warranty, contact the vendor.

-Dubious-

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I fixed the C++ problem but my game still crashes I have only 17 mods (that I installed and tested) but it still crashes every 20 minutes i timed it everytime it crashes around 20 minutes here's my load order

FalloutNV.esm=1
DeadMoney.esm=1
HonestHearts.esm=1
OldWorldBlues.esm=1
LonesomeRoad.esm=1
GunRunnersArsenal.esm=1
ClassicPack.esm=1
MercenaryPack.esm=1
TribalPack.esm=1
CaravanPack.esm=1
YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm=1
SolidProject.esm=1
Project Nevada - Core.esm=1
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm=1
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp=1
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp=1
Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm=1
SomeguySeries.esm=1
YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp=1
CASM with MCM.esp=1
DarNifiedUINV.esp=1
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp=1
Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp=1
Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp=1
Project Nevada - All DLC.esp=1
NewVegasBounties.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp=1
Reload Sounds.esp=1
Ragdolls.esp=1
FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting - All DLC.esp=1

Any ideas?

Edited by skyrimguy14164

I don't see anything in that LO that would cause a problem.

A CTD that seems to only occur after a period of time indicates either a memory leak that is exhausting available memory (which is seldom so consistent in it's timing) or overheating hardware. Overheating usually shows up after a period of time which is typically fairly consistent but unpredictable as to when it manifests. Try installing and keeping an eye on a temperature monitor, such as Speedfan (freeware). Your motherboard manufacturer probably has one available as well. And it never hurts to clean out any dust collecting in the computer case. Be sure to block any fans from rotating when you blow it out, so they don't send any unfiltered power surges through the system. Try to improve the air circulation around your computer, such as directing a fan to blow on it.

-Dubious-

The general guidance is at least an inch of air space around the top, back, and sides of the box (or wherever your fans are located). If overheating is suspected, try directing a fan on the box and see if it has any effect on how long you can play. If it does, look for somewhere else to place the box. Heat is your (expensive) enemy.

My guess would be the difference is the newer "Creation" game engine which makes use of multi-threading and more CPU cores than the older Gamebryo engine. "Apples vs Oranges" comparison.

-Dubious-

I wouldn't say "never", but it can take time. Each new problem that surfaces means you are getting past the previous ones to others that were masked.

The "screen tearing" is a "Vsync" issue. Please see the 'Issue: Vsync (V-Sync) ON or OFF' entry in the "Troubleshooting" guide.

The "20 minute crash" may still be about overheating. First a little lesson on how computer cooling is designed.

The case for a computer is an integral part of it's cooling system. Generally (there are variations) it is designed to cause air flow in a reverse "S" pattern through the case: cool air from the outside coming in through the front bottom and out through the open internal spaces (over the memory and CPU) and the hot out the top back of the case. There are usually fans in the lower front, and in the enclosed "power supply" at the top back at a minimum. Often there are additional fans to assist. The "slot covers" where additional component cards can be added to the motherboard (such as addon card adapters) in the back need to be in place over unused slots to ensure this flow. Some people think removing the case will improve air flow, but they are mistaken. The case is needed to cause the flow to be directed as intended. It's the difference between using a sprayer or stream of water to rinse a bowl, and simply pushing it down under the surface of the water. The former pushes residue out the other side, while the latter tends to trap it in the center because the water is pouring in from all sides.

Modern CPUs run at quite high temperatures, so they usually have either "heat dissipation fins" for passively drawing heat away and into the air flow or CPU "coolers" to actively do so. The more rapidly it heats up, the more active the necessary measures. But the issue gets complicated when you have "multi-core" CPUs. There are recommend temps for individual cores and for the entire "CPU". Please see the "Intel Temperature guide".

So, you need to ensure all the fans in your case are actually running. This will be easier now that you have the case more accessible and visible. Still, you can't see the cooler on the CPU, so a temperature monitor set to alert you when you are nearing the CPU's thresholds is the most reliable way to detect overheating. One from your motherboard manufacturer is preferable, or you can try one of the Intel tools: "Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility" or "Intel® Power Gadget" or others at "Diagnostic and Performance Tools for Intel Desktop Boards". Check when you first start playing the game and then again about 15 minutes later (or about 5 minutes before you anticipate a CTD).

Edit: fixed links.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent