I can't justify being evil and be the Dragonborn

dexterwarden

anyway, if you're looking for an RPG loaded with morality choices and integrated storyline/quests

i'd suggest looking into Dragon Age 1 Origins-Awakenings..

DA:Origins was the game that got me back into gaming.

DAO is very close to perfect. Even the sequel is a remarkable game, though for some reason people weren't as impressed with it.

I kind of suspect much of the reason for the dislike of DA2 had to do with whether or not you played as the male Hawk and had to deal with the bad actor's voice or got the well caste female voice acting for your Hawk. And on top of that, the main story was more fitting for a female Hawk (in a good way). So half the people who played got the poorly acted version with a male hero stuck with family and community and not out adventuring, while the other half got a superbly acted story of a woman who becomes a champion in the eyes of her community even after suffering many tragedies along the way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyway, if you're looking for an RPG loaded with morality choices and integrated storyline/quests

DAO is very close to perfect. Even the sequel is a remarkable game, though for some reason people weren't as impressed with it.

I kind of suspect much of the reason for the dislike of DA2 had to do with whether or not you played as the male Hawk and had to deal with the bad actor's voice or got the well caste female voice acting for your Hawk. And on top of that, the main story was more fitting for a female Hawk (in a good way). So half the people who played got the poorly acted version with a male hero stuck with family and community and not out adventuring, while the other half got a superbly acted story of a woman who becomes a champion in the eyes of her community even after suffering many tragedies along the way.

I don't think that is the only reason, I'm female and didn't buy it, even though some others in family bought for their XB, because I felt they sacrificed the interaction/dialogue we had in DAO for things like whizzy spell effects, I was disappointed with Awakening as well. Sorry that's the best explanation I can give as I don't know the terms for the way conversations etc were done in DAO compared to Awakening and DA2. This is also something, I missed in Skyrim not getting really emotionally involved with the characters, some hacked me off quite a few times, but not one inspired any warm feelings in me, except Meeko.

I don't think that is the only reason, I'm female and didn't buy it, even though some others in family bought for their XB, because I felt they sacrificed the interaction/dialogue we had in DAO for things like whizzy spell effects, I was disappointed with Awakening as well. Sorry that's the best explanation I can give as I don't know the terms for the way conversations etc were done in DAO compared to Awakening and DA2. This is also something, I missed in Skyrim not getting really emotionally involved with the characters, some hacked me off quite a few times, but not one inspired any warm feelings in me, except Meeko.

My Grey Warden can beat up your Dragonborn lol..

looking forward to Dragon Age 3, hope there is a return to fundamentals/conceptual success of DAO1; and, steering away from further simplification (console porting) or

the temptation of going multi-player stealing focus from developing a single player RPG (for 'adults', please no more lame standard template dungeons like DA2..)

DAO1 world was immersive/storylines engaging, couldn't help but care a lot about your character/followers/NPC's plus moral/life choices had consequences and

impacted the outcome of quests/story overall w/cliffhangers.

Vaguely recall dual-wielding combat animations/perk tree was fun including crafting,

Multiple final unique boss showdowns impressive/challenging/satisfying (vanilla Skyrim dragons/priests/ghosts seem kinda canned/wimpy).

Played each race/type for the main character (i think there were 6?) and it was essentially a different game story/setting more or less.

DAO1, Awakenings and DA2 lore dovetailed into each other ok, i remember the newer game AI asking if i wanted to import my earlier character.

that's enough, i don't want to go into Awakenings/DA2 on a Skyrim forum lol.

There is no side to lean towards. The game design itself forces one to change sides. You think you want to help everybody, then before you know it, the same person you helped, you will be forced to either bully them or kill them. I blame Bethesda on the way they designed the game.

How do I justify her wanting to battle dragons while she KILLS people? Why would she feel a need to save anyone?

I need serious answers here because this is a serious issue for me.

Please forgive me if this (or something similar) has already been said, but I did not read the entire thread. For me, this is a VERY easy question to answer from a RP point of view.

The destiny of the Dragonborm is to defeat Alduin....

... so you can take over the world yourself.

(Basically you are an Alduin replacement in human form).

Kill Paarthurnax, kill Cicero... kill everybody. :)

Edited by entropiachrome

Well, I think it doesn't matter because in Skyrim you don't have the factor " fame/infamy " like in Oblivion, and that factor only increases when you are caught killing/stealing.

In Oblivion if you had a high valor of infamy you can't join the fighter guild or you can't use the Knights of the Nine Armor and you need to make a pilgrimage through the shrines to decrease your infamy, but here in Skyrim you don't have such thing, so it's irrelevant what you do to survive.

Only your moral may prevent your path, but I think Dovahkiin is here to kill Dragons and learn all the skills to improve his way to fight.

So, for me I'll do all the quests, in all the factions to improve my character all the max. to be the strongest guy in Skyrim and wait for the Future quest mods and future DLC's, when I need all my skills to kill all the Thalmor and free all Tamriel of the Aldmeri Dominion.

How do I justify her wanting to battle dragons while she KILLS people? Why would she feel a need to save anyone?

Simple really, you are just a pawn in the gods sick and twisted little game here. Remember, they are the ones that gave mortals the ability to Dragonspeak to begin with (now why would they do that again?), so in your case they simply feel like screwing around with your evil head - by making you have to save the world.......

Hehe, lets watch this guy squirm for about 100 or so game hours.......

Simple really, you are just a pawn in the gods sick and twisted little game here. Remember, they are the ones that gave mortals the ability to Dragonspeak to begin with (now why would they do that again?), so in your case they simply feel like screwing around with your evil head - by making you have to save the world.......

Hehe, lets watch this guy squirm for about 100 or so game hours.......

You've been hanging out with the Thalmor? It is like a messed up game to them, started by the Trickster god. But, wait, Skyrim is a game.

Nowhere in the game it is mentioned that you need any moral highground to kill Alduin or to fight dragons. Even your main dragonfighting factions - Graybeards and the Blades - are purely neutral, the same as philosophy you are going to follow when working with them. Even more, "good" in Skyrim is "good" in the Norse sense - you will ascend to Sovangard if you had a remarkable life and were a powerful man, not for tending to kittens and butterflies.

TimF has a good point here. Odin and his ilk wanted you to die with a weapon in your hand, not on your way to help the homeless or to put more in the bird feeder. Valid point. And Skyrim tries - I think - to follow that same sense of old-world, Norse honor and "good." Good, in the Skyrim sense, is more akin to powerful than to just. More akin to influential than to conscientious. At least, I think this was the intent.

If the writers really wanted to convey that sense of a dark, gritty world where "good" is defined by the amount of blood on your blade and the number of times you sharpened it, however, they failed. And failed miserably. Oddly enough, the reason they failed is simple: There are no consequences. None. Ever.

If Bethesda wanted to paint the picture of a dark, gritty world where good is defined by how much blood you've shed, how much loot you've taken, how many lives you cut short and how much power you hold, they needed consequences. Power comes with a price. The more you have, the more others want. The more loot you have, the more people try and steal it from you in such a world. The more land, the more raids upon it. The more fame, the more challengers. Bethesda summarily fails to afford you any consequences for your infamous brand of fame, instead choosing to simply heap rewards upon you in exchange for your rampant wickedness.

Worse still, however, they fail to allow for consequences of a Paladin-like Lawful/Good alliance. You never must tithe to the temples. You are never reminded to pay tribute to Akatosh or Talos at a Shrine. Never once are you forced to take debuffs or give up loot and wordly goods for your allegiance to the Aedra ( the Divines.) There are no limitations on how evil you can be, and no penance for being evil. Likewise, there is no reward, no temptation for true, near-objective goodness and piety.

In a world where people never hate you being evil, never revolt against your decadence and never challenge your authority it matters not how you got there. Because 'being there' in such a world means nothing. It is this lack of consequence Bethesda needs to transcend before they start advertising their games as Role Playing Games again.