Oblivion Game Settings [NOOB Question]

So, I have a question that's probably a bit noob'ish to even ask, but I couldn't find anything regarding this anywhere.

There are 'Game Settings' for Oblivion, specifically in the 'oblivion.esm'-file. You can see them in the 'TES Construction Kit', or in editors like 'tes4Edit' for example.

These allow you to modify certain settings in game and they are listed at websites like http://cs.elderscrolls.com for example.

Take a look at http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Hand_to_Hand_Game_Settings for example and take note of, let's say 'fHandDamageBaseStrength'.

This setting is nowhere to be found in the 'oblivion.esm'-file, but I can add it to my own '.esp' in 'tes4Edit' for example.

In my case, it then gets the FormID '1C006707'.

I can't get this to work.

Adding it like I have simply just doesn't seem to do anything.

So, back to my FormID: '1C' in that ID refers to my '.esp'-file in the load order if I'm not mistaken.

Any Game Setting found in 'oblivion.esm' will start with '00' instead.

That suggests that the Game Setting I tried to add is local to my '.esp'-file, thus has no effect, right?

FYI: Changing '1C' to '00' makes my new game setting override something else in 'oblivion.esm'...

Not necessary a game setting for that matter either - like some landscape or something completely random.

I've seen mods trying this, for example Universal Movement Speed adds.. well, to quote:

Also, not listed here is another value that I changed: fJumpFallVelocity Min
It was originally set at 600, but I doubled it, setting it at 1200. This basically made players fall 2x faster, so the effects of gravity are stronger than before.

The thing is, this just doesn't seem to work as the player in fact doesn't fall 2x faster, because the added Game Setting is local to the '.esp'-file in question, right?

At least it's not working for me, experimenting and trying to figure this issue out.

Again, sorry for being such a noob, I'm probably missing something very obvious, but the question I have is:

How do I activate, in this case, 'fHandDamageBaseStrength' from my '.esp'-file?

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers!

Edited by Guest

You can also change game setting values through scripting if you want. And it is always possible to verify any suspicions with the console, I think the GetGameSetting should work in the console, too. Like:

GetGameSetting fHandDamageStrengthBase

And maybe even the SetGameSetting from OBSE. Or the base game. I cannot remember, but I think I have used it to change some integer value like iCellRespawnHours or something like that for testing. Maybe this:

SetGameSetting fHandDamageStrengthBase 10.0

followed by a check

GetGameSetting fHandDamageStrengthBase

to see if anything happened. Maybe it could be that a scripted mod overwrites your changes? It is also possible to change game setting values through scripting. For example I have written a small mod myself for configurable game setting changes to make all those tens of .esp files redundant, when there can be one scripted mod with one .esp file that handles all game setting changes. Also Wrye Bash offers the option to change some settings when rebuilding a Bashed Patch, although probably not that setting you are after. OBSE offers the commands necessary for changing game settings through scripting, for example the SetNumericGameSetting and SetStringGameSetting[EX], found in the OBSE Command Documentation.

But the GetGameSetting command might be useful when trying to figure out if changes actually have an effect on anything. Manually changing in-game with SetGameSetting might also work? If the command works, then you can use it to test things in-game! Hopefully that helps a bit. :smile:

Edit: Also make sure the name is correct. Your post here on the forums might have a typo in it, sice the wiki says it is called "fHandDamageStrengthBase" but your post has "fHandDamageBaseStrength".

Edited by Contrathetix

Changes implemented via the console are not persistent between anything that triggers a game loading screen (for example going from Cyrodiil to any city). You will require an ESP with a script for the change to persist between game loads.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Thank you, Striker!

Also, to further clarify, I was mainly thinking about temporary testing, to see if there actually exists a game setting by that name that can be modified and to see if the modifications stick. It would provide a starting point for troubleshooting. I know in Skyrim it does not matter (according to the CK wiki) what the form ID a game setting has, or which plugin it comes from, as long as the name matches. But I have never tested it with Oblivion, so maybe it could be a feature that was only added after Oblivion... ? Or not? I mentioned scripted changes because those actually do work, if the game setting exists.