Molag Bal

NocturneNight

Doing this quest for Molag Bal where I am supposed to goad Melus Petilius into attacking me with the Cursed Mace. Problem is, he wont pick it up; I have tried dropping it at his feet by the grave, between him and the grave, BEHIND the grave... he simply wont pick it up and proceeds to attack me hand-to-hand. Any advice?

Here's a quote from the UESP Wiki walkthrough for Molag Bal (emphasis added):

While he is at the grave, drop the Cursed Mace on the ground between him and the tombstone and attack him (e.g., hit him with a weapon, hand-to-hand or cast an aggressive spell). You must attack him while he is at the grave; it is the only place where he will pick up the mace. Attack him elsewhere and he usually will not respond with aggression, and definitely will not use the mace, even if you have dropped it in front of him. If he is at the grave, he will pick up the mace and attack you. Furthermore, he rarely picks up the mace if you drop it after you attack him; thus it is advisable to place it by him before you strike.

Seems like another one of those 'many opportunities to screw up' situations. Make sure you don't walk and chew gum while doing this quest.

That happened to me once. He knelt down before actually arriving at the grave itself. That's when I dropped the mace. He didn't pick it up at all. I reloaded and just waited and watched him. He stopped before he got to the grave and knelt down for a little bit and then proceeded to walk up to the gravestone. I dropped the mace there, then attacked. He picked up the mace properly then and attacked me back.

Are you dropping and attacking when he kneels down before actually stopping at the gravestone?

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, he wont pick up the mace, even if I drop it at his feet at the grave when he is praying, then attack him. It looks like I will have to finish this quest via the console, sigh. Nevertheless, thanks for your advice.