New Nvidia driver promises better Skyrim performance

MrBuio

New Nvidia driver 295.73 WHQL promises a boost for Skyrim performance compared to previous WHQL driver and has a new Ambient Occlusion profile for Skyrim. People having the previous beta drivers probably wont notice as big improvements.

Windows 7 64-bit version here (for other versions, just click download driver on the left column)

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/41694

Article about it here;

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/nvidia-geforce-295-73-whql-drivers-released

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/articles/295-73-whql/295-73-Skyrim-Indoor-Benchmark.png

Edited by MrBuio

NVIDIA version 295.73 WHQL looks very very tempting, I'll probably take the plunge.

Have ASUS G73SW-A1 w/460M GPU still running last year's version 275.33 from June 2011 and has been rock solid.

Skipped the various beta release horror stories; but, those charted Skyrim optimized performance FPS increases are looking good.

Thanks for the heads up MrBuio.

Downloaded the new drivers this morning. I had been running the 295.51 beta with no problems, and once again, downloading the new official 295.73 has been no problem at all. I won't see the huge improvement all you guys will get coming from 275.33 since many of the changes in the new release were in the Beta, but so far 295.73 is performing flawlessly.

Thanks MrBuio I linked this a couple of places where performance has been discussed... hope that's OK

Gave credit for info to you. Any one notice some improvements over the 295.51-beta ?

UPDATE: So far I have played the last two hours without 1 freeze or crash. I have gone online twice while the game ran in the background. I use Alt+Tab with no problems to change sound level so I could here crimson Nirnroots in Blackreach. That place is huge and very well optimized. I can get 30 to 50 fps there but in some of the attached ruins fps drops to 9 and stays below 15. Any way, the new driver has been great. I can not see much performance gain because I was using the beta but I believe th game is more stable now.

Edited by Apprentice Harper

I had to rma my 560 Ti, currently using my old gtx 260, and it's a pain to use it with the newer games, with this new driver it makes it MUCH better but in Whiterun it's still a pain in the ass, so i'm going to wait it out till my new card returns which should be this weekend hopefully.

DL now hope this helps my aging PC lol

Don't expect miracles, but I believe it's the best Nvidia driver for Skyrim.

I installed it and played some time and had no problems so far. Can't say much about relative performance as I didn't do any tests before switching.