Installing wizard and omod with Mod Organizer

ProNoob47

I use Mod Organizer for Oblivion but I am having problems installing some mods like Weather All Natural, RAEVWD and Animated Window Lighting since they use wizard installer.

Detailed Terrain as well, tough it's an omod.

I installed WryeBash and linked it with MO but I don't know if it will work.

If I start Oblivion through MO (OBSE) then all my mods installed via Mod Organizer get loaded into the game but not the ones installed via WryeBash.

I have to start Oblivion through WryeBash but then the rest of my MO mods won't load.

What should I do?

Where does WryeBash install the mods anyway?

Have you tried manually restructuring the mods and adding to MO? As in, manually installing to a dedicated folder for that mod only, that corresponds to the game's data folder and then adding that folder to MO (as the mod) for activation/installation? It is some additional manual work to restructure/install each mod, but that way everything can be installed/activated through MO in the end, so that there will only be one single mod manager used for mod installation to keep things simple. All Natural, RAEVWD and Animated Window Lighting System and Chimneys can all be installed (restructured) manually. And obviously when doing things manually it is possible to make a mistake or two, but being careful helps prevent that.

Wrye Bash should install the mods to the game's Data folder. I have never used Wrye Bash through MO to install anything (I do not want to risk messing something up), but anything you run through MO that tries to create new files in the Data folder will actually create those files in the "overwrite" mod of MO (a special mod, always loaded last, always active, a sort of lost-and-found bin). The overwrite mod is a folder located in the same place as the MO executable.

I do not know about OMODs myself, maybe someone else does. I use OBMM outside MO to unpack any mods that come only as .omod archives and then install/restructure those manually and add to MO. Like all the BAIN things. But then again, I spend more time tinkering with things than I do playing the game. :blush: MO actually has some plugins for supporting some sort of scripted installers I think. Maybe it was BAIN or OMOD? I cannot remember.

Edited by Contrathetix

Have you tried manually restructuring the mods and adding to MO? As in, manually installing to a dedicated folder for that mod only, that corresponds to the game's data folder and then adding that folder to MO (as the mod) for activation/installation? It is some additional manual work to restructure/install each mod, but that way everything can be installed/activated through MO in the end, so that there will only be one single mod manager used for mod installation to keep things simple. All Natural, RAEVWD and Animated Window Lighting System and Chimneys can all be installed (restructured) manually. And obviously when doing things manually it is possible to make a mistake or two, but being careful helps prevent that.

Wrye Bash should install the mods to the game's Data folder. I have never used Wrye Bash through MO to install anything (I do not want to risk messing something up), but anything you run through MO that tries to create new files in the Data folder will actually create those files in the "overwrite" mod of MO (a special mod, always loaded last, always active, a sort of lost-and-found bin). The overwrite mod is a folder located in the same place as the MO executable.

I do not know about OMODs myself, maybe someone else does. I use OBMM outside MO to unpack any mods that come only as .omod archives and then install/restructure those manually and add to MO. Like all the BAIN things. But then again, I spend more time tinkering with things than I do playing the game. :blush: MO actually has some plugins for supporting some sort of scripted installers I think. Maybe it was BAIN or OMOD? I cannot remember.

I wanted to, but I can't figure out how WyreBash installs mods and where it stores them.

I searched the Oblivion folder, Oblivion Mods folder and WyreBash folder.

Are there any settings that let you choose the installation path?

Wrye Bash should generally install the mods to your Data folder

...\Oblivion\Data\

which depends on your install location. However Mod Organizer (if you use the 1.3.11 one, the 2.x ones have some slight issues with Oblivion) sort of redirects the Data folder to various places for its virtual thingy needs. But in addition to virtually adding the mods to the Data folder, it also redirects all files created under the Data folder to its Overwrite folder. So if you used a tool, through MO, to install mods to the Data folder, it could be that the files actually ended up in your MO Overwrite folder, that is in your MO installation directory. Like

...\<your_mo_dir>\ModOrganizer.exe
...\<your_mo_dir>\overwrite\

where the "overwrite" is the "Data" part, so you could have, for example

...\<your_mo_dir>\overwrite\SomeMod.esp
...\<your_mo_dir>\overwrite\textures\somemod\aaa.dds
...\<your_mo_dir>\overwrite\meshes\somemod\bbb.nif

and so on if you tried to install "SomeMod" to the Data folder while running Wrye Bash through MO. Assuming MO managed to redirect the created files. I have not tried to install anything with Wrye Bash while running Wrye Bash through MO so I do not know if it works. Files created with the Construction Set (Extender), TES4LODGen and others promptly end up in the overwrite, though.

For configuring Wrye Bash, there is the bash_default.ini with instructions inside it, in the Mopy folder. You can copy it to bash.ini (as instructed in the file) and then edit it. But I think it only allows changing the game location and not the actual mod installation target path by itself. I think. But generally, though, Wrye Bash should place the files in your Oblivion\Data folder, but when run through MO, it could be that MO has redirected all the "installed" files to the overwrite folder.

If someone knows more, or spots a mistake, feel free to correct. :smile:

Edit: Sorry for the... well... useless things, if you already knew everything. Or if I managed to slip past answering your question altogether. :blush: Maybe the Wrye Bash readme has more information on how to change the mod installation target folder itself.

Edit 2: If you mean the part about installing to a separate folder, then adding the folder to MO, I was mainly thinking about it like this (approximately), if it makes any sense:

• download mod "Random Mod 1.1", extract it into a folder "Random Mod 1.1"
  • within that "Random Mod 1.1", restructure the mod so that it would be possible to merge it with the game's Data folder to install the mod folder's contents, but do not actually merge it (this is the "manual installation" part)
  • with the folder being ready for merging, as in, the contents of the mod folder "Random Mod 1.1" correspond to the things that would need to be copied/merged to the Data folder (with the "Random Mod 1.1" folder corresponding to the "Data" folder, with regards to folder structure), it is now possible to cut+paste the folder to where Mod Organizer keeps its unpacked, ready-to-enable mods, because MO expects ready-to-enable mods to be structured so that the mod folder corresponds to the Data folder
  • launch MO, the mod folder will be in the mod list, and it is possible to tick the box next to the mod to install it

If that makes any sense, then that is great.

Edited by Contrathetix

Thanks,

found the mods in overwrite folder of mod organizer.

I just don't understand why not put it in the 'mods' folder.

I basically just needed to know where WryeBash installs the mods to, so sorry if I didn't make it that clear and you had to write so much instructive text.

English isn't my first language.

Edited by ProNoob47

No problem. Writing is not an issue, but trying to make the actual content make any sense is to me most of the time a small issue. The only way I can learn to write better and to express myself better through writing is to write. But sometimes it feels like it is not actually helping at all. :P Oh well. And English is not my native language, either.

Great to hear you got it sorted out. :) I think the reason why the files installed through Wrye Bash do not end up as a mod in the mods folder could be related to the difficulty of detecting when files are from a mod and when they are not. For example Wrye Bash can try to place files in the Data folder, but also TES4LODGen, OBSE plugins and the Construction Set can try to place files there.