Lockpicking is useless?

wukong80

I agree with the above post about the picks breaking being kind of silly. It would be better to have the lock become damaged after so many failed attempts. Then the only way to open would be with the key. This would add much more realism IMO...

Isn't that how it works in Fallout... I don't think I've ever failed a lock pick attempt so I can't say. IMO the thief series had the best system, I particularly like the idea of lock-picking taking place in real time making opening locked front doors a challenge.

Random ideas: lockpicks never break but you need to acquire several varieties. So you can buy a basic torsion wrench and hook pick anywhere which will work on basic locks but the higher skilled locks require rakes ect. These should be difficult to find (theives guild ect) . If your lockpicking was high enough you use the right tools off the bat but if low you have to guess what picks to use which obviously could take a long time.

I always thought the game could have been improved by not "freezing time" during lock-picking and pickpocketing. That would have made putting perks in these trees FAR more useful.

Imagine, you have to pick a master lock before a patrolling guard comes and busts you. You have to quickly choose what items to pickpocket because the mark is walking away from you. It is totally WTF that you can browse their inventory for like twenty minutes before removing only an apple pie.

As it is, these perks are for roleplaying only, IMO. I have taken lock-picking in the past, but only because I was a pure thief and had maxed out all other thief skills/avoided some stealth skills that I think are OP.

While we're at it, let's merge all schools of magic into one, since I can't imagine all of you folks using every school and putting perks in them. Lockpicking is broken, yes - but it CAN be fixed. It CAN be made into a useful and integral skill again. And just because most of you don't care for it, doesn't mean it should get twisted around.

The Stealth Arts are MY arts. I've been plying this same in-game trade the same way since Morrowind. I've had to watch people rip the flesh off its bones to better accommodate the casual/lazy gamer and frankly, it's disgusting. All the focus is always given to magic or combat, and rarely do the devs or modders throw us a bone, except for the few, the proud, and the glorious modders like Reneer (amongst others.) I swear, this blasphemous anti-lockpicking talk is going to make me scream.

It needs fixed. I rest assured that it will be fixed. I remember scanning the Oblivion mods not too long back (just looking, since I don't play anymore) and seeing someone who's working on a real-time lockpicking thing. It was nifty that it was exactly the same as the vanilla game, just real-time. I don't recall much other than that, though.

I remember scanning the Oblivion mods not too long back (just looking, since I don't play anymore) and seeing someone who's working on a real-time lockpicking thing.

Real-time for ALL thief skills would be so amazing and would justify putting points into these trees. What I mean is:

a) lock-picking

b) pickpocketing

c) browsing other inventories like chests in houses

That + drastically increasing gold penalties/bounties for getting caught would make these trees essential.

As it is, there is just too little risk/skill in thieving, so everyone can do it no matter what else they do. That and having 400 lock-picks to burn whilst brute-forcing a master lock :confused:

IMO, you should only be able to open expert/master locks if you have taken perks in lock-picking. Default pickpocket chance should be 10% unless you invest perks.

I can't effectively use magic unless I take some perks, why should it be any different with thief skills?

Edited by sukeban