Skyrim CTD's before even reaching the logos, no obvious cause

LordNyron

Two days ago I was playing the game normally, modded to the limit, and it just crashed randomly. I haven't played since then, so when I went to start it up today, I assumed it would actually start up as per usual. Except it doesn't. SKSE Loader does its thing, little black box appears in the top left corner of my screen... and then it crashes. I've tried everything I can think of. Looked for missing masters, validated the game cache, ran TES5Edit, ran LOOT. I hadn't changed anything from two days ago. No mods were added, no mods were removed, and no mods were moved. Everything was as I left it except that somehow a master got moved lower than a dependent mod, but that was the only one. I fixed that, but it still CTDs. I honestly can't figure out what's wrong. And this is coming off of a weird occurrence where a mod went "read only" and refused to acknowledge my admin privileges.

Crashing before the load screen usually indicates a missing dependency or that you have something in the mod list in plugins.txt or loadorder.txt which is no longer on your machine. Or possibly there is a mod missing from one of the files.

I assume you know to never use the normal Vanilla Launcher once you have run LOOT, but you might want to check that your SKSE install is correct.

I don't understand what's happening with the mod becoming read only, and "modded to the max" is something I've never tried. Maybe someone else has better ideas. Maybe that's the mod causing the problem? If it's suddenly gone "read only", maybe it cannot be loaded and so the game engine thinks it's not on your machine? You could try disabling it. If that works, maybe replace it with an updated copy?

:yes: