Travelling Merchants on carriage

ahmedsiha

fort greymoor is already part of a dark brotherhood quest, but as long as you leave the npc in question in there ( it would still work because she has no ties to the bandits there) it should work

but does making a fort near a citiy sense? and making safety forts everywhere to house traveling merchants might litter the landscape ^^

fort greymoor is already part of a dark brotherhood quest, but as long as you leave the npc in question in there ( it would still work because she has no ties to the bandits there) it should work

but does making a fort near a citiy sense? and making safety forts everywhere to house traveling merchants might litter the landscape ^^

You make a Valid Point.

I agree and disagree(currently), it's a good idea but skyrim is not ready for this "yet", it would conflict to many things right now. You should just have a small chance of just seeing someone on knight on horse charging through the landscape but in the current skyrim fighting on horse back is just not mastered yet. In my opinion( instead of using carriages) I think all carriage in all the towns should have guards that makes more sense, and lets have the guards transport goods to other carriages instead. Carriage would only be used if someone with the right coin needed them(plus I would want to make the price between places a little higher.) But merchants avoid this because of fear of dragons and other such monsters. Plus carriages aren't good when attacked or move off path(They do glitch when enough force is used.) These reason would make enough sense why you don't see much other carriages in use, the way skyrim is fire breathing dragons and dragonborns plus mages.

I think this would solve the problem.

Edited by jesterskull25

And as the question of security for the carriages was answered, one could make carriage travel non fast travel but real time travel with the same safety measurements...

I think ScenicCarriages does this quite well. It makes carriage travel real-time and, as a consequence of it, you do certainly face the usual hostile encounters. The mod also includes the option to ask the driver to stop the carriage to hop off, midway.

Check it out. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15094

The carriage movements are buggy, having merchants moving with them would probably have some pretty lame animation bugs.

Skyrim is a dangerous place, but there are plenty of people who travel dangerous places, if the reason is good enough. Profit is something many people would risk their lives for. That said, I had some ideas:

Thief merchants- shady merchants who sell wares to passerby, could also be a fence

Scavengers- merchants that pick through bodies left from battle and sell the wares.

Skooma dealers

Any traveling caravans should have: a guard or two, the merchant, and at least one horse with saddle bags.

• 3 weeks later...

This is skyrim we are talking about guys.. if you want immersion... why add travelling merchants? no merchant would want to travel skyrim.. they'd stay inside city walls for protection.. i mean if you have tried travelling skyrim on-foot or riding a horse.. you would know why i think this is ridiculous.... dragons appear,werewolves,vampires,bandits and s*** happens everywhere.. so how does it make profitable for a merchant to sell stuff on road?

Thank you for your opinion. Hmm... I see, you got a point there. Skyrim is very dangerous. But IMHO that doesn't stop people from wandering everywhere... I travelled Skyrim for countless hours, and aside from the enemies, I've also met many kinds of people.

some of them are the khajit nomads, some merry folks who offered me a bottle of meads, a travelling bard, some unique characters like Cicero, M'aiq the liar, and many more.

I also noticed some newly wrecked, unprotected merchant carriages, who probably just got robbed. Hell, some of the robbers even attacked me. It is a part of the immersion. So I thought, if an unarmored bard just wander aimlessly on the roads and not afraid of anything, why should a bunch of armed merchants be afraid?

The merchants will also add some sense in the economy systems, i.e. supply and demand between cities, or export import, access to better wares and so on. And yes I think it's profitable. Risky, but profitable.