Flowing Hair

Lazuri

So, I was playing Skyrim the other day when I got this idea for a hairmod that adds animated hair. My idea for this is basically using/combining the same type of meshes used in the waving/animated flags and banner and add them to hairstyles, certainly not as individual strands but more like layers of locks.

My question is, would this be possible, and would these animated meshes be a lot different to work with than regular static ones?

It's already been suggested a few times already and the answer usually comes out to be the same that in order to get flowing hair, each hairstyle would need its own skeleton to take advantage of the Havok physics engine. Otherwise it would be possible without a new skeleton if they were to use the old Gamebryo animation types which most would agree won't look good in the least bit.

Fairly certain that flags and banners in the game are keyframed, not actuallly physical. Take a look at them, the animation will loop indefinitely. This won't really work for hair because while you could keyframe hair it would just be the same looping movement without any dynamic effect.

Fairly certain that flags and banners in the game are keyframed, not actuallly physical. Take a look at them, the animation will loop indefinitely. This won't really work for hair because while you could keyframe hair it would just be the same looping movement without any dynamic effect.

Makes a lot of sense, hair mods as they stand look great on a purely aesthetic level but they lack a physics model to make them animated thus improving the level of immersion enormously. There has to be a physics engine driving the hair for it work in all the various animation sequences without clipping through models and obstacles. I reckon this is why Bethesda never considered such a huge Q and A task that would involve.

View related blog post

I've never had a problem with clipping hair. In fact, hair and cloth are the only things I DON'T get annoyed when they clip through other stuff. Hair is supposed to flow - if it clips through your shoulder in one animation, that's fine. It's as if your hair was dragged up your shoulder and flipped over the other side, and it usually happens too fast for it to matter :>

If your cape clips through the lamppost you just walked past, that's fine too - how do we know it didn't simply get whipped by the wind and billow around the post?

@MarethRavenlocke in your hair over the shoulder example we know that long hair is fixed and doesn't react to gravity and the elements when we use chargen, so when it bisects another object in 3d space it clips however briefly. Particularly noticeable in narrow dungeon corridors or rooms with low ceiling sections. Maybe when a follower has a custom hairstyle but I'm going to assume we are focusing on the player character

In the cape example you argue it didn't just go through that lampost because it happened too fast for you, maybe running at a silky smooth frame fate? Or perhaps because in usual game circumstances by design our attention would be elsewhere looking for gamey things to happen. In which case considerations about how good the hair is would be trivial at least in the first playthrough.

We might not notice it the first time but as we all know replay videos can pause, rewind and show it happening. Particularly if its a new mod and we compare how well it looks with the rest of the game.

I have an idea about this.

1. Make wigs of the hairstyles that you want in the game.

2. Assign the wigs to one of the new bodyparts that bethesda has made for us. Also it would be great if it is possible to make them non-lootable, for immersions sake, if you dont want to be a scalphunter that is :)

3. Go in to the ck and make all the npc bold and equip them with a wig of your choosing.

Shoudnt be an impossible task, or am i wrong?