Looking for feedback/ideas on making player-made automatron robots unkillable

Zaayl

This one has been really bugging me, it makes me never want to use custom robots for the risk of losing them. Sure, they are hard to kill, but with difficulty enhancing mods, a large enough wave of high level gunners/raiders could certainly do the trick.

Ive been doing research on how to solve the problem, and came up with dead ends, far as I can tell only the supply line and companion scripts make them essential, and when they arent one of those two things, they are killable.

So, my idea is this: Im thinking of creating a new robot workbench mod for the special mod slot that would give the robot extreme amounts of health, damage resistance, etc. to make them essentially unkillable without considerable time/effort. Obviously this would be a little cheaty, but its the best solution I can think of, and you could also unequip it when the robot is in-use as a follower, and re-equip it before they are dismissed.

Im too tired to work on it tonight, Ill be loading up the CK and seeing what I can do in the morning, but I was hoping for some feedback, maybe other ideas I could try, existing mods that already solve the problem, or whether or not you like this idea.

I like the idea of making bots trickier.

as a bot fan for Robot Home Defense and para automatron mods, as well as Automatron DLC itself,

it'd be awesome to have those accompanying "AI powerarmor" parts packs for automatron be unkillable!

heck yeah.

since there's a few mods which port that 'bot-frier' EMblaster from FONV,

bots are not as scary as they oughta be hehe.

there's a few ways to make the bot unkillable.

essential is a great way,

another way, is to give them a hidden container with health, where the condition is "IFF exactly |amount|"

that way, the robot will have unlimited repair packs/health pickups, and will use those.

a tremendous amount of damage all at once, or, the disintegration/goo effect, will still outright kill them...

though they're all but impervious to most other damage.

you could possibly apply an IFF Exact value directly to their health or DR too...

that would however make them effectively immortal, as their health or DR would always exceed the check

(or, always be set to the integer, and never at any moment = 0 or a negative).

it is unclear if they'd still be goo-ifyable or disintegrateable.

-----

I could also look at 'healing forcefields' for the robots, on their assigned patrol paths,

you could place a forcefield which detects if the bot is in the square...

if their health is > 50%, then heal etc.

and toggles the collision, trapping them, then healing them,

and once their health is at 100%*, letting them go...

(this could be a sneaky way to trap and isolate some bots on their patrol paths... never let the health reach 100%,

they're effectively trapped in that node indefinitely muahaha)

I'm more inclined towards the

"give them a hidden container filled with infini-robo health powerups"

rather than giving them an inventory item which confers a magic-effect or conditional perk,

though it'll be awesome to see what you come up with.

this would be a very handy project for folks making machinima and who're wanting

to extend the robot-fight scenes etc.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25484/? Its not very elegant, but it should do the job.

The problem with the health item idea, one big hit and its over. And apparently while provisioners cant "die" if they do lose their health between stops, it triggers another bug that resets their inventory and all upgrades, reverting them to a base protectron, health items wont really help if they eat a mininuke toting suicider on the road, while standing next to two cars.

I stuck with my original idea, giving them absurdly high health, with a item that can still be removed should you want your robot to act as a follower, and be capable of being "downed"

Have a look at their script for creating them, add a SetEssential command straight after they are made :)