Working in Blender vs. 3DSmax

Nevlaithiel

Hi guys..

Any of you working in Blender?

The thing is, I tried modding first in 3DSmax, and loved it! But, I can't pay that much for a hobby. Or well, I will not! :-)
In 3DSmax you can grab each individual hair piece, drag it away from the rest of the model to work on it, and then slide it back in. Love that function.

But after looking at a load of tutorials online, I still can't find any coresponding feature in Blender. It seems i can only choose the entire object, or individual vertex points (or more, but not the "groups")

Does it not exist?

Or am I importing my mesh in a wrong way?

Is there a way to separate each connected vertex-gruop from the others?

Thank you fellow nerds :-D

Mary

Hi guys..

Any of you working in Blender?

The thing is, I tried modding first in 3DSmax, and loved it! But, I can't pay that much for a hobby. Or well, I will not! :-)

In 3DSmax you can grab each individual hair piece, drag it away from the rest of the model to work on it, and then slide it back in. Love that function.

But after looking at a load of tutorials online, I still can't find any coresponding feature in Blender. It seems i can only choose the entire object, or individual vertex points (or more, but not the "groups")

Does it not exist?

Or am I importing my mesh in a wrong way?

Is there a way to separate each connected vertex-gruop from the others?

Thank you fellow nerds :-D

Mary

Hey Mary :smile:

If a model has multiple parts it will also be in multiple parts when you import it into Blender, each mesh is shown on the list in the right side of your interface :wink:

If you want to work on only one of the meshes from the list you can hide the rest from view by either clicking on the small "eye" icon to the right of the name of the mesh you want to hide, or alternately you can click on the mesh in the render window and click the "H" key to hide it :wink:

To toggle all hidden meshes to visible again you simply click Alt+H :smile:

You can also move the mesh you want to work on to a different layer and work on it there, but the above method is much easier :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:

Edited by DeltaType90

If you're talking about moving individual pieces, yes, there is a wonderful function. It's at the bottom of the screen on the toolbar below the view window. There are a few drop down menus. You're going to want to click on the tiny grey circle that's titled "proportionally editing" when you pull up the menu. Select the tiny blue donut that says "connected". You can now pull individual mesh pieces any which way by selecting one or multiple vertices or faces or edges. To make the pulling radius smaller you just click and hold while you scroll in and out with the center mouse wheely dealy. It may take a lot of scrolling in at first to get the radius small enough to work with. This will allow you to mould the mesh A LOT easier.

One more tip when using blender: When you export, you're going to want to select the mesh you're replacing then go to export-->object. In the bottom right hand of the screen there will be a list of export settings. ONLY select "Selection Only, Apply Modifiers, Write Normals, Include UVs, and Objects as OBJ Objects". Everything else should BE un-selected. Don't ask me why, but I did a long and painful trial and error of this to get it to work and these settings did the trick.

Happy modding!

Edited by roberts2432

If you're talking about moving individual pieces, yes, there is a wonderful function. It's at the bottom of the screen on the toolbar below the view window. There are a few drop down menus. You're going to want to click on the tiny grey circle that's titled "proportionally editing" when you pull up the menu. Select the tiny blue donut that says "connected". You can now pull individual mesh pieces any which way by selecting one or multiple vertices or faces or edges. To make the pulling radius smaller you just click and hold while you scroll in and out with the center mouse wheely dealy. It may take a lot of scrolling in at first to get the radius small enough to work with. This will allow you to mould the mesh A LOT easier.

One more tip when using blender: When you export, you're going to want to select the mesh you're replacing then go to export-->object. In the bottom right hand of the screen there will be a list of export settings. ONLY select "Selection Only, Apply Modifiers, Write Normals, Include UVs, and Objects as OBJ Objects". Everything else should BE un-selected. Don't ask me why, but I did a long and painful trial and error of this to get it to work and these settings did the trick.

Happy modding!

Thank you! That was presisely what i wanted ;-) yay...