Modders: Coping mechanisms.

deepspacedecrepit9

How come I don't hear about them? There have been plenty of times that sorting load order or spending 10 hours going in and out of load screens for nothing has had me seriously contemplate tearing my hair out. How do you guys do it? Using mods or making mods.

I've never had to have any.

There's been a couple of times a mod has caused issues or I've had to make a slight change to my load order, but in general it's been pretty straightforward to me. The mods that I want to make sure don't get overwritten I put at the bottom. The rest I sort by type of mod. Areas (new and modified) at the top, then NPCs, then equipment, then settlement objects, and finally perk changes. (I probably forgot some stuff, but that's in general how I handle it)

Also make sure that you don't download mods that have conflicts. If they change the same things, odds are they will have some kind of conflict. If you're okay with some things from one of the mods being overwritten put it above the other one.

When I've made mods I've added a few things, opened the game to make sure they work. If they don't - go back and see if I can find the issue, maybe Google it if it isn't an obvious mistake. If they work - great, I can add more stuff and repeat the earlier steps.

You just get better at spotting wich mod is a bad idea with experience.

Usual signs of its not going to work well are: way too much scripted stuff,

require like 12 other mods to work, modify too many different things at once, description that does not clearly explain what it does and huge numbers in the bugs tab. 2 or 3 bugs is usually not bad. 10+ Is worrysome. 30+ means don't even think about it.

That and always have something else you can do. Get an other game to play while cooling down from the rage or a movie or even chinese cartoons if you like that.