Skyrim Freezing Randomly

Christoph117

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you delete the ENB files or did you just turn it off ingame? Because I had to really delete those files in order to get an improvement. Anyways, it seems that Sounds of Skyrim was the bigger Problem for me.

And on another note maybe some Mod or Mod-Combination has already corrupted your savefile thus nothing will help anymore. This way I just lost more than 160 hours of playtime. But I don't care, haven't done more than 10% of the main quest anyway xD

Do you have ENB enabled? I think for me it begins when I put the ENB files into the skyrim directory (even when I turn it of through shift+f12 ingame). I can play the game completelly fluently, but after some time it suddenly freezes (with the music continuing) and I have to wait 5-20 seconds and then I can play fluenty again until it freezes again after not more than one minute. The strange thing is that those freezes do even occure while beeing in the menues (shops or inventory e.g.) so i dunno....

Absolutely not possible. There is nothing in the base ENB files that will cause that especially when you use Shift+F12 to disable it. That totally disables the d3d9.dll binary that "powers" ENB and nothing is active any longer. No files associated with ENB will do this either so the cause is most definitely something else. And when you uninstall the files nothing will affect your save game either. ;)

The only way any ENB could have an effect on your game other than the usual fps loss (or odd visual bugs from improperly tweaked settings) is if the author also includes some other files that aren't common to ENB.

Just trying to help you narrow it down a little so you can move on to the next possibility. :thumbsup:

Well, I know that it doesn't make much sense, but this is what I experienced. When I deleted d3d9.dll and the enbseries.ini suddenly the lag was much smaller. Anyway, it turned out that the main problem was Sounds of Skyrim which (maybe with some interferences) completelly bloated my savefiles, so I've started all over again. Everything's fine right now.

Well, I know that it doesn't make much sense, but this is what I experienced. When I deleted d3d9.dll and the enbseries.ini suddenly the lag was much smaller. Anyway, it turned out that the main problem was Sounds of Skyrim which (maybe with some interferences) completelly bloated my savefiles, so I've started all over again. Everything's fine right now.

Glad you got it working. I don't know which ENB you were using that would make that difference but happy you worked it out. :thumbsup:

I too get get random freezes in open world skyrim on my pc. The screen is still but the sound continues on. I only have eight mods and none of them alter the graphics or put any extra load on the game. It seems like there are many people who are experiencing the same type of freeze. Since the game never freezes in a city, cave or any other smaller area I find it hard to believe that a mod is the culprit. It also freezes on my xbox 360 which I cannot alter at all. I think it is a problem with the game. I hate saying this but it sounds seems like a Bethesta or Steam issue. Even with the quantity of people this is happening to, they still are not acknowledging the problem, which is the worst part. I guess they don't want me to buy their expansions.

I have to add that me and the OP have NO MODS IN COMMON... so it ISNT a mod conflicting with the game.

I have to facepalm this. Really?

Just because a mod doesn't freeze/CTD you doesn't mean it works the same for others. It's not like you are using the exact same system. Both of your files could be corrupted, just saying.

Anyways, the most common thing that can happen while playing for a longer time with these freezes is that your savefile is going to be corrupted, despite deleting all mods.

Try what happens with a new savegame, do you also crash? If yes, it's something about your mods. If not, it's your files.

If the second option applies to you you should probably delete everything, also the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini and make a new installation of skyrim, then the mods. Before installing any mods you should make sure it's not your system and try to play without any mods for a decent amount of time.

I was also having this problem, suffice to say that I ditched most mods that I used during that hellish playthrough, especially mods that were made or even slightly scratched with tesvsnip, turns out there is some serious bug with its code that has the potential of messing with your game. So in general, installing anything that was created before February 7th(CK release date)is inadvisable, still the chances of people using Snip to clean and whatnot are very, very high, but that way of thinking doesn't lead anywhere, you'll just end up using no mods that way. I also had RCRN installed on the botched playthrough, don't know how different it is from say, ENB, and what problems it could cause but I guess Staind716 would know. Awaiting for your response. ;)

Anyway, still haven't started my new playthrough, but hopefully there will be no freezes this time around. Should also note that there are various reports of freezes after installing Dawnguard, everything Bethesda related 'on release' is known to be buggy and unstable as hell, so it could be the DLC for all I know.

Edited by Shagreth