⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skyrim Freezing Randomly

Christoph117

I also have this problem occasionally and it's completely random. Sometimes it happens a few minutes into the game and sometimes not at all through hours of gaming. It could be anywhere in the game. I always thought it's normal for a massive open world game like Skyrim to have these issues. If the freezing is periodic though it might be the save file is getting too large. If it only happens at specific places then maybe there is too much to load in those areas, cleaning the place up of corpses, dropped items might help.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your computer freeze at any other times? If so, I am sorry to say, you may have a hardware issue. Like I did...

Nope, no hardware issues, I monitor everything there is to monitor (temps, vram, ram etc) with a panel, and I've stress tested every part using Prime95 and other programs, plus I never had any problems with other games, games that are often more demanding than Skyrim. Also, my saves were @ the 10mb range at the time, they keep getting bigger as you play, but nothing crazy in my case, just a few KB per session. As for having to load too much, yeah - thought of that and I waited 31 days (setpcsleephours 750) so that everything that can go/reset, will go. The characters that got ruined did not have a problem at the beginning, only after.. say.. 30 hours - then the problems started. My money's still on the tesvsnip mods, will see how things go now that I've ditched them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I get Skyrim freezing with music/sounds going on which I can only exit via Task Manager on this rig:

Samsung NP700G7C Laptop (trimmed down TR version with 8GB RAM and 500+500 GB HDD on a GTX 675M) running Nvidia Forceware v306.23 and Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

Here are the mods I got:

http://i.imgur.com/sKnOM.png

plus Climates of Tamriel Final Edition and The Wilds ENB.

The game generally freezes from 2 to 10 minutes into the game.

Do you think it is mod-trimming time or does the freezing pattern tell you something different ?

It's in the Skyrim.ini (not Skyrimprefs, just the Skyrim.ini).

It's near the top, and specifically it's "ugridstoload=5" without the quotation marks. It starts out by default at 5, which is very stable. I only got crashes after I raised mine to 7, though I guess for some people it remains stable up to 9. Each increment increases the distance at which you see detailed terrain, greatly increasing immersion but sadly causing crashes and freezing for many people. It must be increased or decreased to odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc).

If yours is at 5 and you're still freezing or crashing, I wouldn't bother to put it at 3. It's probably not the problem. If you don't crash and you'd like to try raising it, be aware that if you save on a high ugrids value and then try to load that save on a lower ugrids value, your game will crash. Don't save until you know if a high ugrids is going to crash, or you'll mess up your save game and have to do a bunch of complex stuff to restore it.

[GeneralWarnings]

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

derp

The best that there can be is activating the logging in the Skyrim.ini.

Under [Papyrus] set the points

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

to 1 each.

But don't expect wonders. It gives you an overview of what script or object creates an error, but without the mod it actually belongs to.

Also errors are fully normal, as every time it tries to start a script, while the parameters are wrong (wrong time, the prerequisites not met, in the wrong cell whatever), it throws an error.

As a rule these errors are not more consequential than an warning that something did not work ATM.

Also, practically every action taken by a script is logged.

So even after a few (single digit) minutes of gaming we are talking about a few thousand kb. I know, kb is not much in a datafile. Unless we are talking about a simple text file.

There 8 kb mean 1000 characters.

800 kb mean 100000 characters. Or something like 20,000 words.

Have fun searching that for an specific error.

Still, the log is an help. Usually the error occurs in the last parts of the log.

But from what I have been reading here, many of your problems may not actually come from Skyrim and/or mods.

Nobody here has said anything about background processes.

Or in other words, what is the status of your operating system at the time of the crash/freeze?

How do your ram, cpu and I/O look?

Have you a tool available that shows you your temperature of the CPU, the GPU and the system as a whole?

What antivirus do you have?

Is it in game mode?

What other programs have you up and running.

What hides itself in your tray?

In the mod section, it seems to me that especially mods that enhance a sound can strain the game to the extreme.

Said soundfiles (at least the ones I experimented with) will be loaded every single time they are used, played and then unloaded.

That is somewhat acceptable with something like immersive thunder. But with something that "enhance" the environmental sound that could be murder for your performance.

So I would suggest delete all the soundfiles out of your data folder (or move them somewhere else) and see if it still freezes.

If it does, watch your OS and see what else happens on your computer.

Thank you. I enabled Papyrus and I'll see how long the game survives next time I launch it.

I am inclined to believe that this is a Skyrim related issue simply because I don't see anything else that can be causing it.

I pretty much have a high end computer. Bought it a couple months ago

Intel i5 3570k with a dedicated cooler Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E

8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC 2GB DDR5

The CPU is overclocked and Skyrim has ran in the past just as well as it does now, it just didn't use to freeze like this and causing me to kill it from the task manager.

This PC has the potential to pretty much multitask whatever I want but I'm usually just in game with basic programs on.

My AV is Avira and I have my Games folder in its Exceptions.

In my system tray I got the usual: Steam, NVIDIA control panel (updated drivers, ofc), printer/webcam sftware, registry cleaner, AV, sound, wireless.

As for sound mods, I am aware that they have been the cause of save bloats in the past, but I always read things carefully (both description and comments) to make sure I install solid working mods the right way.

I have already suffered save bloat in the past but fortunately, even with lots of mods installed now, I haven't had any save bloat issues after what I'm guessing 60h+ game.

This is just... something else. :P I'm hoping I'll find out about what's causing it.

It is, however, hard to identify the culprit, especially having used these mods before during my previous playthrough