Ayleid, Aldmer & Thalmor

Lunder

Everyone hates them - and we were meant to. In Skyrim the aldmer is the Tamriel equivalent of the Nazi party.

But in Oblivion it was different ? I remember walking through all the old Ayleid ruins killing zombies, skeletons - diverting traps etc.

I loved the vibe i got from the old ruins. But I have searched far and wide ("completed" the game 3-4 times) and i am still unable to find any real Ayleid ruin :(

Then i thought - sure someone else must have felt the same, but when i checked the forum / mod community it's all empty. No mods, no discussion.

________

Have any of you "dear fellow nexus forum members" felt that lack? am i alone ? has the Empire's propaganda filled your heads so much that you don't even miss the Welkynd stones? or the beautiful Ayleid ruins? their magic wells standing in the forest of Cyrodiil?

let me hear your thoughts

~Kind regards Lunder :)

Do you mean missing Ayleids in Skyrim?

Oblivion was a bad game but it had a lot of mystery, many places would leave you wondering on a lot of stuff. I have yet to encounter something like this in Skyrim... Everything is so straight forward and generic.

I don't think its as generic as Cyrodiil - the areas are way more well made, but yea there's not a lot of mystery in Skyrim - i remember when i found the statue of Meridia - i was thinking OHH my GOD! when she spoke - and receiving Dawnbreaker was huge! But then the emptiness thinking.. oh that was it - no where to go just plain old skyrim.

----

But yes! Where the hell is the Ayleid ruins? and the Welkynd stones!? - i used to decorate my crib with those badboys in Oblivion :)

was ayleid civilization ever in skyrim though? my memory isn't that good, but i can't seem to recall any lore about ayleids in skyrim. i do seem to remember a little lore hinting that they had not done so. (i think, not sure on that one). what i want to know... where are the ancient falmer cities? for a time they coexisted with the nords, well... till they tried to wipe out the nords altogether.

I really liked exploring Ayleid ruins. They actually felt large and ancient, you know? They felt like somewhere you'd hate to get lost in without a torch.

The dwemer ruins are cool and probably more unique, but they don't have the same mystique. There were plenty of original Ayleid resources and retextures made for Oblivion. I wonder if the owners would ever let those be used in Skyrim mods... hmm...

It's something to think about.

Edited by Rennn

I think with the Caravans and all the less then honorable citizens of Skyrim, Cyrodiil, Morrowind, Black Marsh, etc, that someone, somewhere would have crossed a boarder with a few of these artifacts. The scones that hold the soulgems would make perfect holders for the Ayleid stones, IMHO. :wink:

ayleid means heartland elves. they never were in skyrim. the elves that are native to skyrim are the snow elves. so no chance of finding ayleids ruins here. but i accept there should snow elves ruins in the game.

btw im playing oblivion and its not really that great everyone in forum is saying.

I don't think its as generic as Cyrodiil - the areas are way more well made

The landscape in Cyrodiil was terrible constructed, but in idea I don't think it was more generic than Skyrim. Also, I'm talking more about the overall feel of the game: Oblivion felt like a real TES game, but Skyrim could just as well be an entirely new IP except for the bits of lore. I think Bethesda did a horrible job on conveying the feeling and atmosphere of the TES universe in Skyrim.

I liked Ayleid ruins. It is sad that Beth just hide them under the carpet. There was a lot of things going on that werent explained at all. We still dont know how the heck the Ayleids had such skills manipulating magicka, not even mentioning that they didnt even used magicka as mages use them in current times (in TES world :P ). The whole magic of the sky wasnt explained, and that seemed like a big part of Ayleid culture.

Everyone hates them - and we were meant to. In Skyrim the aldmer is the Tamriel equivalent of the Nazi party.

But in Oblivion it was different ?

Actually no :D What Oblivion gave us in lore of the Ayleid only mentioned that they were a fairly sadistic race towards their slaves. Like the Thalmor but waaaaaay more crazy about it, not just secret torture chambers in some lost mountain but whole town festivals organized around torturing human slaves.

Think like the burning of king olaf in Solitude but with a real "king" in the stake and not only one but a few hundreds of them. They had awesome magic power though, even simple town citizens could cast invisibility for hours as told in that Bravil story.

Thats not to say that Skyrim doesnt has its mysteries. As i said in other thread, the whole issue of the Dragon Priests and Draugr is pretty much unexplained. We dont know how the Dragon Priests reached their positions, their personal stories, if the power they had was granted by the dragons or not, what kind of magick binds them to the living world, why they would wait in their undead form for so long (waiting for Alduin's return i guess, but its not like they're all helping him once he is free again), and the whole dragon war is a mystery too. Barely documented.

Still the implications of all that are pretty meaningless to the amount of mysteries the Ayleid left unexplained.

To be fair, we did have all the Ayleid ruins we could want in Oblivion, it's not like we went into Skyrim never having experienced them.

Still I think the name 'Heartland High Elves' just sticks with people because it sounds so mysterious. :thumbsup: