game starts up but when trying to enter a save it claims all esms are not loaded.

thunderlord2200

i started a new game the other day and saved. but now when i tryed to load the save it is claiming thatall .esm's are not activated not even fallout 4s own esm. tryed to load save game crashes.

i started up NMM and it shows everything is checked like it should be so i dont know what is going on.

can someone please help me?

i tryed everything i can think of just not unstall and reload. last thing i want to do xD

but i tryed to start a new game it works..

kind of, i am able to play but ALOT of said mods are not showing up. i dont know why or what is causing this.

Sometimes NMM's cache says they're checked, but the plugin file that the game loads is messed up. Try unchecking then rechecking a file so it refreshes the plugin list for the game. Then try.

You could also load xEdit and it will check the files that the game would try to load so you can verify the list is correct.

Edited by BigAndFlabby

Fallout 4 force loads the ESM files and has done so for quite some time. NMM was also changed a while back so that the ESM files are fake entries. That is to say it's just text on the screen put there so people don't go psycho and ask "Why don't I see the DLC listed" and such nonsense.

No mod manager such as NMM or Wrye Fash will write the DLC to plugins.txt because that is Bethesda's standard and has been that way for a while. You could even confirm this by manually adding Fallout4.esm and the DLC to plugins.txt and then use the in game Mods menu. All you have to do is uncheck and check one mod. Then Bethesda's internal routine will strip Fallout4.esm and all the DLC out of plugins.txt just like all the current tools are doing. Even LOOT will no longer write the DLC to plugins.txt.

So if you think your game is not loading your Fallout4.esm or the DLC then make sure you have the most recent version of Fallout 4 which is 1.9.4. Verify your cache and such. Then make a new save game. I would bet it works just fine because Fallout 4 just won't load without Fallout4.esm and it's DLC.

Edited by Sharlikran

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes NMM's cache says they're checked, but the plugin file that the game loads is messed up. Try unchecking then rechecking a file so it refreshes the plugin list for the game. Then try.

You could also load xEdit and it will check the files that the game would try to load so you can verify the list is correct.

Fallout 4 force loads the ESM files and has done so for quite some time. NMM was also changed a while back so that the ESM files are fake entries. That is to say it's just text on the screen put there so people don't go psycho and ask "Why don't I see the DLC listed" and such nonsense.

No mod manager such as NMM or Wrye Bash will write the DLC to plugins.txt because that is Bethesda's standard and has been that way for a while. You could even confirm this by manually adding Fallout4.esm and the DLC to plugins.txt and then use the in game Mods menu. All you have to do is uncheck and check one mod. Then Bethesda's internal routine will strip Fallout4.esm and all the DLC out of plugins.txt just like all the current tools are doing. Even LOOT will no longer write the DLC to plugins.txt.

So if you think your game is not loading your Fallout4.esm or the DLC then make sure you have the most recent version of Fallout 4 which is 1.9.4. Verify your cache and such. Then make a new save game. I would bet it works just fine because Fallout 4 just won't load without Fallout4.esm and it's DLC.

i bet you dont understand the problem dude.

i have 189 plugins installed ( most get merged in a time) but if i install just 1 more and go ingame fo4 tells me on loading a save i use for testing that everything isnt present anymore....no fo4 esm no dlc esms no mods nothin for no reason.

thats our problem so it would be nice if someone could help instade of trieing to tell us we are stupid,

I explained the technical aspects of FO4. 1) It force loads the DLC, so you can't disable it. Older versions behave differently. 2) NMM, Wrye Flash, even LOOT no longer adds the DLC to plugins.txt. Which follows the Bethesda standard and can be verified by using the in game mods menu. You can also verify that by using Wrye Flash to view the Save Game header. 3) I explained with 1.9.4 and a new save game (also with a recent version of NMM, Wrye Flash, LOOT) the OP would not have the error. I never insulted anyone.

Your help would be, make sure you are using 1.9.4 of Fallout 4, NMM 61.21 or higher (61.21 recommended), LOOT 10.1 (Optional), Wrye Flash 307 beta1 (Optional).

Also in the end, everyone should be using 1.9.4 of Fallout 4 as Steam doesn't allow you to disable Automatic Updates. You can't revert to a previous version of Fallout 4 without using an unofficial method. So there is no reason to have a copy of Fallout 4 that won't force load your DLC.

Warning, if you use Windows 10 and have the Creators Update MO2 will no longer function, period. For more info refer to the STEP community.

Edited by Sharlikran