This ain't Wal-Mart, boy!

EllPro

Well, there's not a lot of foodstuff leftover. I presume people stopped using them once they could cook things.

(you do get some rads from those old foods, which one would prefer to avoid)

Since they use caps for money though, I'd expect any 200 year old colas would have been opened and dumped, just to get the cap.

Salisbury Steak: yeah, freeze dry that, and it lasts forever, and tastes like shoe-leather.

Sugar Bombs: 100% of your daily dose of sugar (and then some) won't go bad.

Booze: whiskey, vodka etc: np (that should ALL have been used up. Seriously? y'all missed the booze?)

200 year old beer: pass.

200 year old wine: um, you go first. either it's really good, or it's vinegar. ;p

Potato Crisps: cardboard to start with, cardboard 200 years later.

Gum drops: hard sugar. although probably better off as ammo for the junk gun

Bubblegum: ammo for sure.

Dogfood: Dogs will eat anything. Not getting descriptive. blech.

mac'n'cheese: that probably would go bad. except for the radiation. mkay.

cotton candy bites: pure sugar again. Do not feed to the ferret or the cat.

Dandy Boy Apples: they never go bad according to the box. okay, we'll go with that.

Fancy Lad Snack Cakes: twinkies. 100% preservatives.

Food Paste: no actual food was harmed in making this paste.

Funnel Cake: Thats too good NOT to have survived.

InstaMash: powdered potatoes. yeah, lasts forever, still tastes like crap.

Pork'n'Beans: no way. mind you, would unclog the system from both ends.

Slocums Buzzbites: only 1 box survived, but you craft the rest. hot coffee filling? Rad hot yes.

Yum-Yum Deviled Eggs: see the food paste.

:P

I'd like to know how any stocks of Cram, Nuka Cola etc which weren't destroyed in the war have survived not only edible but in any quantity after 210 years.

Preservatives. Like how A 20-year-old Twinkie is just the same as one opened the day after it left the factory.

You can interact with some food items in the pre-war house, and your character says something like: "Cram, expiration date: never".

Also, radiation would probably pretty much sterillize everything, killing the bacteria which are the main reason for food spoiling. But that's RL reasoning, Fallout radiation is weird :D

I get your reasoning that food would have been sterilised by the radiation but it's a bit of stretch to think it would survive for 210 years after the last production lines rolled even allowing for the fact that there are far less people.

I get your reasoning that food would have been sterilised by the radiation but it's a bit of stretch to think it would survive for 210 years after the last production lines rolled even allowing for the fact that there are far less people.

Then, how about that: in the years before the war, the food companies started to use the fear of the impending doom for advertising: Salisbury Steak! Now with even more preservatives! Guaranteed to last for 200 years after the nuclear apocalypse! Prepare for the future! :D

Oh, you mean the fact that it hasn't been eaten up by now. Well, I assume the Super-Duper Markts were full stocked once, the few tins you find are just what remains. At some point, the survivors thought: I'd rather eat one of these giant roaches than this 150+ year old canned food.

I can come up with even more ridiculous excuses. Restocking robots! They come whenever you aren't around, and place food back onto shelves. They are also the ones who keep restocking the Nuka Cola machines and fill the registers with money! :D

Or, it's the FEV! The cans of Cram are actually alive, and they reproduce! They hop onto shelves when you aren't looking, because they want to be eaten! It's part of their reproduction cycle, and you are the unaware host! :D

ok, I'll be going now...

I think the idea beth is trying to present is their flawed understanding of economics and how capitalism is to blame for everything. They are saying what if fusion power existed? then everything would just go up forever? because with an unlimited source (almost) of energy what would a society do so they paint a picture of economics gone mad with super duper inflation and mega production of everything so the world is flooded with stuff so much that people can't even walk a few feet without bumping into mass produced things. So after 210 years whatever is left of humanity in america has yet to consume all of it even if some of it was destroyed by the bombs. The only thing to put blame on is greed and the humans that run on it not the free market. They could have told their story better without standing on a political soapbox. Nobody is going to believe that the dust bowl would never happen after it actually happened. You can't farm mega huge amounts of land like that it fails at some point so things go up and down they don't just go up forever they just don't get this part. The explanation of fighting over resources in the story parts throughout the different games would have been better understood if it was more about uranium instead of everything else but maybe they were trying to illustrate how people would consume lots more stuff if they were not limited by older tech like gas engines and coal power plants. You can only build so many houses though and only so many people can fit into a country so this still doesn't fly it just looks good to say it all went out of control really fast. Nothing goes horribly out of control though it just doesn't because humanity is what never changes not war. History repeats again and again in cycles and waves we don't change ever we just regurgitate ourselves over and over.

This is why we need a new game a reboot where the player lives through some of the mess leading up to the end of civilization and learns some of the secrets of why it happened instead of popping out of a vault 210 years later and going wtf happened? The story elements of garbage everywhere and rusted out trucks with only one seat inside are just not telling a story to me. Better writing is required and is much easier to do than plopping down thousands of garbage piles everywhere in level designs. It would make more sense that at some point in the far future or the current timeline of 210 years later that some part of humanity found a way to produce things again but it wouldn't be like before. I don't think there is enough ammo left over at the war for people to shoot at each other for 210 years and the tech required to make it seems too complex to exist in beths idea of the world since npcs can't even repair broken potato plants. There are things illustrated with subtle details like where does all the ammo come from and the food but we don't see all those details in the game only a few. The scale of places like diamond city seems too small there just isn't enough people in there and the game world in general too it needs to be bigger but that might be an engine limitation for now.