Skyrim Black Screen on Launch No Sound

nonja121

Hey guys. I'm experiencing a problem that I hope one of you might be able to help me with. When I start up Skyrim (click play from the splash screen), I more often than not get only a black screen. No logo, no sound. When I open Task Manager, it says that Skyrim is not responding, and I am forced to force-quit. Usually, running CCleaner will get it to finally launch correctly. However, the issue keeps occurring, and it sometimes takes me five or six tries to launch properly! I'm not experiencing any other issues - no black screen/lock up during play, no sound issues, no CTDs or error messages. Just this one dang bug.

Sorry if someone already has posted about this, but nothing I've found currently matches my issue (usually they talk about black screen when loading new areas, or after some game time). I'm currently running

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz not overclocked

Sapphire ATI Radeon 6870 1GB

Please let me know if you need any more information. And please assume that I know nothing about what you are describing if you post - I'm fairly new to modding, and though I'm tech-savvy enough, I'm still new to this. Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Are you loading from the NMM? Do you use skse? If so are you using the "launch skse" button to start? (you can find it on the pull down menu from the upper left tab on the NMM interface.)

Alternately, if you are using skse, you might have a skse icon on your desktop you can launch from.

Otherwise, it is possible that you do not have sufficent available memory for the game to load...have you tried clearing your cache, running basic cleanup utilities (like CC cleaner, gralry utils, etc.) and then using something like GBoost to close out background processes? (I use Firefox and that can use huge amounts of RAM, it's a known bug, so I have to make sure to close out my browser, for example)

Also maybe try verifying your cache and rewriting your pref.ini and ini files to default...it could be locking up because the launcher is not seeing the files it expects....

Just a few suggestions hope something helps!

Well, Kievkev figured out that setting your fps too low can cause a slow load (although maybe not a no-load, as it seems you describe). You could try changing your fps. I use 33 fps, but someone else said they get better results with 60. It is probably dependant on the specific variables of your system.

You did follow the steps in Bben's blog post? When you removed all of your mods, were you able to load? Also did you try loading through the steam interface, no mods?