Reinstalled Oblivion. Did I miss any important mods?

chodetaculous

First off, if this is in the wrong section, please accept my apologies and tell me where I should post it.

I want to play through the game again and after a few hours of work, found a collection of mods that suited me. My main goals for mods are to enhance the graphics (to a degree,) enhance the gameplay, balance the game, and be immersive. I don't want to break the lore too much. With that said, here is the list. I have a powerful computer and don't believe I should run into any issues that aren't limitations of the engine.

The basics: Oblivion base game

Shivering Isles

Knights of the Nine

Fighters Stronghold

Official and unofficial patches

OBSE

TES4Edit, Wrye Bash, Oblivion Mod Manager, BOSS

Blockhead, QTP3 textures redimized, HGEC Body models.

The rest, in alphabetical order:

Music packs 1-4

4gb_patch_plus_ram_optimization

Alluring Potion Bottles

Better Bell Sounds

BetterMusicSystem

Bomret's Texture Pack for Shivering Isles

Cyrodil Transportation Network

Cutthroat Merchants

Darnified UI

EngineBugFixes

Enhanced Economy

Fastexit

Francesco's Creatures and Items

Francesco's Creatures and Items update

Grass Overhaul

Guild Item Ownership

Harvest Flora

Immersive Interiors

Map Marker Overhaul

Martigen's Monster Mod

MoreHeap

Natural Environments

New Tree Shadows

No More Annoying Messages

No Psychic Guards

NoBackwardsRunning_fran

NVAC New Vegas Anti Crash

Oblivion Character Overhaul v203

Oblivion Stereo Sound Overhaul

Oblivion Trees Overhaul

Obse Elys Silent voice

Oblivion Stutter Remover

Quest Award Leveler

RAEVWD

RAEVWD for Shivering Isles

Reznod Mannequins

Spell Delete and Item Remove

TES4LODGen

Toggleable Quantity Prompt

Tree Bark HD Reduced

Weather All Natural

First off, thanks for reading through all that. Secondly, am I missing anything important? While I do want the game to look better, I do not want to go to the effort of tinkering with ENB - while I'm sure it makes the game look gorgeous, I don't want to go through the hassle. I am also aware there are updated textures/models for virtually everything, I wanted to keep my mod list as slim as I could.

As for gameplay, I thought a combination of Francesco's and Martigen's Monster Mod would be good. I want the game to be a fair challenge throughout most of it. This is also why I am using Cutthroat Merchants and Enhanced economy, so I don't become super rich quickly.

Lastly, is there a mod that slows down skill gain, to make the game last longer, and I don't max out swords quickly?

Thank you.

I have used (or still use) only some of those mods listed, but if it helps:

• Oblivion Stutter Remover already includes the FastExit feature, you can toggle it on and off in the .ini file for the mod, and you do not need a separate FastExit mod for that purpose.
  • An alternative to quest Award Leveller is the Auto Update Leveled Items and Spells mod. It might be worth having a look at that, too.
  • No More Annoying Messages looks like it could be replaced by some of the tweaks in the Bashed Patch, selected when rebuilding the Bashed Patch. For example the "loading area" message and the like can be suppressed in the Bashed Patch.
  • Is Natural Environments really compatible with Weather - All Natural?
  • An alternative to Better Music System could be Enhanced Music and Control 2 combined with Dynamic Music System, depending on what you are after, and whether any mods strictly require one or the other.

Hopefully someone else knows more. Also, your definition of important can differ quite a lot from that of someone else. For example I consider Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul a necessity (the only major overhaul or addition I use), together with Realistic Leveling (might require configuration before use!). But someone else might completely disagree. But for graphics, Oblivion Reloaded might be handy, but then again, it will also require configuration before use and is not necessarily the most straightforward to use. For example removing animations and disabling and enabling other components can require some thinking. So it is, again, very very very subjective! :smile:

Edit: The forum post editor keeps adding unnecessary line changes to the list. :mad:

Edited by Contrathetix

I have used (or still use) only some of those mods listed, but if it helps:

• Oblivion Stutter Remover already includes the FastExit feature, you can toggle it on and off in the .ini file for the mod, and you do not need a separate FastExit mod for that purpose.
  • An alternative to quest Award Leveller is the Auto Update Leveled Items and Spells mod. It might be worth having a look at that, too.
  • No More Annoying Messages looks like it could be replaced by some of the tweaks in the Bashed Patch, selected when rebuilding the Bashed Patch. For example the "loading area" message and the like can be suppressed in the Bashed Patch.
  • An alternative to Better Music System could be Enhanced Music and Control 2 combined with Dynamic Music System, depending on what you are after, and whether any mods strictly require one or the other.

Hopefully someone else knows more. Also, your definition of important can differ quite a lot from that of someone else. For example I consider Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul a necessity (the only major overhaul or addition I use), together with Realistic Leveling (might require configuration before use!). But someone else might completely disagree. But for graphics, Oblivion Reloaded might be handy, but then again, it will also require configuration before use and is not necessarily the most straightforward to use. For example removing animations and disabling and enabling other components can require some thinking. So it is, again, very very very subjective! :smile:

Edit: The forum post editor keeps adding unnecessary line changes to the list. :mad:

Thanks for pointing out the redundancies! Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul looks interesting, but I have to wonder how it will conflict with Francesco's, since they're both big overhauls. Do you have any idea?

Also, I tried installing everything, but it turns out you can't install Shivering Isles from the CD anymore on Windows 10 because Win10 refuses to work with anything that has Securom. That's extremely irritating, my only choice is to buy the game on Steam or GOG. Will Steam interfere with any mods in any way?

No, Steam will not interfere with any mods (as far as I know) as long as you remember to reset the BSA timestamps for the Steam version and also remember to launch the game from within Steam for OBSE to work, and also remember to install the game in a Steam library folder that is outside any Program Files folders. But then again, several people have also successfully used the GOG version, so hopefully one of them will turn up here and provide some info on that one. :smile:

Odd to hear about Securom not working. I have not tried using the disc version with Windows 10, though, so maybe it does not work. But it still sounds odd for it to not work. How do you know it does not work? Does the setup fail to run or something? If I find the time, I will check if I can launch the setup for Shivering Isles on Win 10. I only have the 5th Anniversary Edition on disc, though. :confused: Buying the game a second time because of an issue like that feels like a waste of money, if you do not actually want/need a digital copy. Especially now that the Steam summer sale has gone and the Steam version with all the small DLC costs a fortune again. I have not checked the GoG one yet.

Edit: Also, no problem, happy to help. Maskar's overhaul is very compatible/adaptive and I think it even says on the mod page or somesuch that it is compatible with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul even. I only use MOO, so hopefully someone else can give you a better answer about compatibility with Francesco's mod. If I had to take a guess, though, I would think that Francesco's falls in that "should be compatible with most mods" category. Maybe the comments section of MOO already contains the same question with an answer.

Edited by Contrathetix

I do not know what resetting the BSA timestamps mean. What do you mean? That also sounds similar to cleaning plugins with TES4Edit. Is that necessary? If BOSS says everything checks out, do I really need to concern myself with that?

And a unrelated question, I'd like my experience in Oblivion to last me a long time, and I do not want to max out my skills super quick. I've got most of my mods installed, and went through the tutorial dungeon. Skills were flying up like crazy - sneak raised twice in a matter of seconds when you get the prompt to sneak near the goblin. Is there a simple way to slow down skill gain? There are two mods I saw, Progress and Fundament. Fundament has virtually no documentation, and Progress looked confusing as well and doesn't explain what exactly fSkillUseFactor means. I just don't want to max out my skills in 20 hours of playing when I want to play for 200.

Just do not try to use Natural Weather with Weather - All Natural(The latter already includes the former). You can use other parts of Natural Environments with that, though some parts may have better alternative. (And NE replaces HUD gauges and such)

• 4 weeks later...