What's the point of Damage Resistance?

TheOriginalEvilD

I just don't get how this game works. I've been doing some experimenting with DR, increasing it on power armor to see how it changes the damage taken, which should be fairly straight forward but it just doesn't make sense. I've read the Wiki about how it works, and how higher DR doesn't simply cancel out damage taken, but it seems like there is nothing you can do to stop damage at a certain point.

So for example, a standard set of X-01 armor (I don't recall the total DR) is not enough to keep me from dying if attacked by a high level Deathclaw. I die from one melee hit. So, I go into CK and I change all the armor pieces to have extremely high DR, so that my total DR was something around 35k (which is ridiculous) and I still die from one hit. WTF is the point then?

OK so I took it a step further, and now with a character level at 90, and with my power armor DR totaling 276k, a mythic deathclaw melee attack drops my health down to about 80%. It just doesn't make sense that certain enemies can absolutely kill you with one swipe no matter what vanilla DR you have. I guess I might not get any damage at all from lower damage enemies like Raiders, but you're just SOL for the higher damage enemies.

Every weapon or unarmed attack does a specific amount of damage. Most of these values are set in the definitions of the character or weapon. Deathclaws are tough. Just look at any of the NPC_ forms that start with encDeathclaw. They have Melee damage values that dwarf anything but some legendary weapons and their Health and Damage resistance ain't shabby either. I pretty much avoided Deathclaws until I was level 40 Legendary Deathclaws until I hit level 100.

Your body and armor combine to give you a certain amount of health, and every attack will take some health away. You armor will reduce the amount of damage you take from an attack by a percentage. But if your health is 300, and your armor gives a 10% increase in damage resistance an attack which does 400 damage is gonna take basically 360 points off your health and it is still gonna kill you.

There are two ActorValue forms "ArmorPenetration" and "Mod_IgnoreArmor_AV". These values show up on some of the weapon mods (mod_SubmachineGun_Receiver_Automatic1_and_MoreDamage1_and_ArmorPiercing, mod_AssaultRifle_Receiver_Automatic1_and_MoreDamage1_and_ArmorPiercing, mod_Legendary_Weapon_ArmorPenetrating, etc) which sets a percentage damage resistance ignored via the use of some weapons.

And that is why your armor ain't worth a damn in some situations. :mad:

And that is why your armor ain't worth a damn in some situations. :mad:

Yeah, I mean it's possible to have enough DR from armor to survive the attack, but completely impossible with any reasonably realistic DR values. The question is, in the game's reality, would a beefed up top tier suit of power armor protect you from a deathclaw attack? On other levels the DR system just makes no sense anyway, because deathclaws aside I shouldn't get hurt from a stupid radroach while in power armor, it should be absolutely 0 damage from a stupid insect. Power armor should make you completely immune to some attacks. I'd say even a sledge hammer to the head wouldn't hurt you if a suit like this was created in real life.

Ok so just from memory,

The total possible deduction of any source of incoming damage is around 80%

There are of course mods to weapons that can be used by opponents that reduce that to 50%

Damage Resistance does work but its not in any shape way or form easy to understand just looking at the numbers on the ingame sheet.

So basic understanding is this,

At a DR of equal value to damage received the player receives 50% of the damage.

So DR 100 vs Dam 100 = 50 damage to target.

A DR 20 vs Dam 20 = 10

A DR 20 vs Dam 10 = 5 (we are at 25%)

A DR 20 vs Dam 4 = 2

A DR 20 vs Dam 2= 2 (At this point our DR doesn't nagate any damage)

DR 20 plus Lone Wanderer Perk of 30% cap Vs Dam 20 = 7

DR 20 plus LWP 30% vs Dam 10 = 3.5 round up 4

DR 20 plus yada yada vs Dam 7 = going to equal at least 2.

a 100 DR still will let through 20% of any incoming damage and may be subject to letting through 50% depending on mods and perks of said creature. That pretty much goes for everything. So a minigun will always do at least 2 damage per round that hits.

as said before you cannot completely negate all damage there is a flat 20% you will always take.

That flat number can also be increased due to weapon, perks, or other value similar to those aka Deathclaw and a few other creatures I imagine will have a flat reduction in just how much of their damage can be soaked by true damage reduction percent.

Dang its confusing but there will always be at least 20 percent getting through your protection no matter how high it is and on top of that its entirely possible to reduce your possible soak by at least another 30% so basically you could have only 50% soak. That likely puts a lot of players in one hit range of a DeathClaw.

Anyways,

Best way to get real protection comes from true damage soak sources such as "Lone Wanderer Perk" and Legendary Item effects such as Assassin's or equivalent for race your up against. Bear in mind at that point there are still caps such as 80% hard cap and a 50% soft cap due to other effects that reduce how much can be soaked.

Edited by gamefever

Interesting. I'm playing for a LONG time, and I too have thought about the point of stuff like the toughness perk's 50 DR.

I'd love to understand the way DR and armor rating and perks interact.

Say: I get a DR of 50 from the toughness perk and ~500 Armor Rating from my PA... and am getting hit by a 350DM projectile. What am I calculating in what order here?