One-handed without shield OR magic

Rezlo

It's certainly possible, but you'll have trouble with archers. Swords and other weapons can be dodged.

If you simply dislike the large shield size, you might like Bucklers. The other thing you might end up with in the off hand is a torch though. It's actually a bit more handy than a shield, since in addition to stagger, it sets them on fire for the main weapon to do more damage.

Jaysus has some nicer looking two-handers by the way.

I may understand why. At first I think separate weapon into one hands and two hand is cool, but after played for some time, I think it is not good enough. One or two hand is a fight style, heavy weapon should restrict to two hand, but why can't you use two hand with a standard "one hand" weapon? Like dual cast magic, it should give you option to use both hand on lighter weapon with additional damage. If that so, you can swing as powerful as two hand by given up your off hand function with less weight weapon. Also flexibly to use magic or shield by losing bonus damage.

This is quite easily done if you are able to get to around 100 unmodified damage with that 1h weapon (including poisons and/or enchants). Of course, resists and armor will tame that 100 damage.

Crank the difficulty up to master, and you'll want to consider other options (unless you're the stealthy type).

I don't think i quite understand what you are asking. IS the question about using just a single handed item and not having your other hand in a combat style fighting pose?

If thats the case, you are losing out on a lot. Under master level, the power attacks decide the battle. Stamina is just as important if not more then health. The wirlwind of a dual wielding player takes out anything thats close. Under other then master, I have taken out 2 dragons, 2 saber cats, an assassin and 3 wolfs in 1 use of the dual weilded axe/sword combo. A wee bit tougher at master, but the point is made.

Whether or not it is a good idea, it is not hard to do. Simply equip something in your left hand then equip is again. This unequips it and your hand is empty.

Now unequip both and go hand-2-hand. You can actually do some pretty good damage with the relevent perk and the gloves of the pugilist.