Channelling Staffs

DemonfireNinja

I thought of the idea to add special staffs that I call channeling staffs to the game, they are 2 H staffs that can be used to cast spells, however unlike regular staffs channeling staffs use your magic spells instead of their own, when you use the spell you have equipped it is cast through the staff, as powerfull as a dual cast spell but only using the magicka of a single cast spell, additionally I thought that it would be a good idea to make it so that you only had to use one trigger to cast the spell and could use the other trigger for either another spell or to hit the enemy with the staff. The staffs could be enchanted with most weapon enchantments which would strengthen the spells even further, I just think it would be great for people who want to play a mage type character.

Tell me your opinions and ideas, hopefully someone will decide to make this idea a reality.

I like the idea, but the way staffs casts spells is through soul energy; that's why they have to recharged with soul gems. As such, they have technically already been enchanted. I'm not a modder, so I don't know if they can be altered to take mana from me or not.

Secondly, most 2-h weapons have M1 for attack and M2 for blocking. I'm not saying that the staff can't have a physical attack, just that if M1 is for the spell then M2 will either be an attack or block, but not both. I could be wrong; if the staff could have a physical attack, magic attack, and a block ability that would be awesome. Kind of makes me think of a monk class archetype.

The dual-cast for the price of a single cast also sounds a little cheap to me. If the staff uses a charge, that's fine because it is a staff mechanic. If a person is playing as a mage character and if it is already 2-h and at dual-casting strength then why use a staff? They'll have no problem regaining the mana. Meanwhile, this staff would best serve melee and sneak players well if it used soul energy because even a spell's single-cost can be too expensive for them if he or she does not have the perk to make spells of that school and level cheaper.

Fourthly -- how does the staff choose what spell the person has equipped? Would I have to first equip the spell in both hands then switch to the staff? How would I change the spell? What if I tried to equip the staff with two different spells selected -- like fireball in my right hand and raise dead in my left? Would it be listed like I equipped the staff in my main hand and the spell in my off-hand, but show up as the staff being in both? Etc., etc.

Perhaps a third option. Mouse left-click is right -hand, mouse right-click is left hand, mouse scroll click is staff. But i also like the idea of wielding a staff like a bo-stick, deflecting swords before I set fire to the people attacking me. If a staff uses a channeling function, It normally should use your magicka. A staff is a weapon and it should work as long as you do. A staff in Skyrim is currently little more than a enchanted piece of wood. A staff's power is your power. And as long as you have magicka, not soulpower, the staff works just fine.