Suggestions wanted for the best mods, so that I don't overdo it

peppergomez

I tried FONV vanilla version when it first came out, but found that I lost interest maybe mid-way through the game. I have decided to give it another try, and would like to play it with mods this time. I did this w/ Oblivion and w/ FO3. My problem is that I end up installing too many mods in Nexus Mod Manager, such that game becomes unstable.

I am hoping to keep my mod list down to a more reasonable number, maybe 20 tops. I am especially intersted in the following:

A) Nicer interface, both a la Darnified (though it looks like he might have abandoned his FONV mod?) and immersive HUD

B) Better graphics and textures, for everything. My rig is plenty powerful, and part of what turned me off about FONV was how bland and mediocre the graphics are, even on ultra settings.

C) Better inventory approach (more hotkeys, easier way of keeping track of and labelling items)

D) Less buggy- any community bug fix patches

E) Overhauls a la MMM or OOO for Oblivion- things that make NV a more dangerous, varied, and overall more interesting place.

I'm hoping I can go about the modding process more intelligently this time, with less conflict and bloat.

Also, there the equivalent of the superb STEP guide for Skyrim for FONV? If so, that would rock. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

Thanks a lot.

PS- Is BOSS and NMM all I need, or do I also need Fallout Mod Manager (which looks like it might no longer be being worked on by its author)?

Edited by peppergomez

Interfaces:

MTUI - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=34902

Does the bare essentials of what DARN does.

Textures:

NMC's Texture Pack http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=43135

OR

OJO BUENO - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=39755

Both of them are pretty good, it's just a matter of personal taste of which you prefer over the other.

Fixes:

New Vegas Error Corrections - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

Overhauls:

Monster Mod - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=41361

Adds a variety of new creatures to the game, similar to MMM

Project Nevada - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=40040

Adds a myriad of different functions to the game, including grenade hotkeys, zooming, sprinting, new implants, an inventory sorter, and optional customizable modules to suit your game experience.

In regards to STEP, I can't think of any guides right now that are of such a broad tweaking range. There are a few lighting and weather mods that may be able to achieve a similar effect, however.

I would suggest FOMM over NMM for the time being, as it includes functions that are not present in NMM such as importing/exporting load orders, browsing bsa files, and editing/merging esms/esps. It's somewhat of a personal preference however, as I like to be able to have a broader range of control over how to sort my mods. While we're on the subject, you're going to want to consider picking up NVEDIT or Wyre Flash, as these will greatly help relieve conflicts that may persist as a result of two mods that change a similar value, etc.

Hope that helps.

For textures (which, for me, are perhaps the most "must have" of all mods), keep in mind that NMC and OJO Bueno are not mutually exclusive. Me, and I know a lot of other peeps, lay down NMC first, then put Ojo on top. I LOVE most of NMC's stuff, but personally prefer Ojo for the texties he offers. (Sandy ground is, for example and imo, an absolute must). You'll still be left with mostly NMC, because that retext is just so amazingly extensive.

I'd also look at one of the, in my view, most under-appreciated mods on this entire site:MG's Neat Clutter Retextures. It hi-rezzes a lot of those little items that are downright ugly at the best of times, and look especially out of place after installing NMC/ Ojo. No way could I ever again run FalloutNV with NMC & Ojo and not install MG's pack. As they say, "once you go clutter pack, you never go back" :biggrin:

Another texture mod that's pretty awesome is huntersJoyPack

If you go hi-rez, and as Tapioks recommends on his Ojo page, I'd highly recommend (like, "DO THIS!" :biggrin: ) finding this line in your fallout new vegas INI (my documents, etc....): iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400 and bumping it up. I just add another zero at the end. Big boost for performance when your machine is dealing with hi-rez textures.

You might also want to search "Hectrol" and look at his packs. IMO, his ED-E retext is a must have. A weapons retext mod is also something to look at. I use Arenovalis's Weapons Retexture Project - sweet stuff.

One of the beauties about texture mods is their esp/esm-less-ness so mod load count be damned!

For performance, 2 mods in particular: 4gb enabler (provided you're running a 64bit O/S), although you have to go to the silverlock site for the NVSE version if you run NVSE; and NV Stutter Remover (neither of those performance mods add an esp/esm to the mix either).

Along with the Monster Mod that was recommended, I'd look at installing A World of Pain - combat and adventure extraodinaire! (though I suppose you weren't really asking for advice on combat/adventure mods :tongue: )

edit: oh, just thought I'd add that, although DarnUI hasn't been updated for ages, it still works fine with FONV. And it apparently also works fine with the relatively new oHud, which I've been meaning to check out although I'm still very pleased with the oldy-but-goody DarnUI

Edited by kevkiev

Thanks folks. I will try these.

How do I go about the archive invalidation process? The Archive Invalidation Invalidated mod is no longer supported, and I have read that Nexus Mod Manager's archive invalidation function doesn't work.

Edit: I removed many mods and have pared it down to the below list. My game is still crashing though immediately when I launch via Launch NVSE from NMM;

Can anyone help me out here, maybe suggest a proper load order or a possible conflict or missing required file? Because I don't have any DLC content, I only have the NO DLC versions of New Vegas Error Corrections Complete checked.

Below is my BOSS list.

Your masterlist is already at the latest revision (r3666; Jan 1, 2012). No update necessary.

Recognised plugins: 17 Warning messages: 0

Unrecognised plugins: 17 Error messages: 0

Ghosted plugins: 0 Total number of messages: 11

Total number of plugins: 34

Plugins sorted by user rules are counted as recognised plugins.

−Script Extender And Script Extender Plugins

NVSE Version: 0.2.0.12

pn_nvse.dll

−Recognised And Re-ordered Plugins

FalloutNV.esm

TribalPack.esm

FOOK - New Vegas.esm

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Deflst, Delev, Graphics, Names, Relev, Sound, Stats, Scripts}}

FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esm

Requires: DeadMoney.esm and HonestHearts.esm

MoMod.esm

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}

Incompatible with: monsterrach.esp

Project Nevada - Core.esm

Requires: New Vegas Script Extender

Project Nevada - Equipment.esm

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Invent}}

Requires: New Vegas Script Extender and Project Nevada - Core.esm

GoodspringsPlayerHome.esp

FOOK - New Vegas.esp

Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Deflst, Delev, Graphics, Names, Relev, Sound, Stats, Scripts}}

FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esp

Requires: DeadMoney.esm and HonestHearts.esm

PerkEveryLevel.esp

Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp

Requires: Project Nevada - Core.esm

noautoaim.esp

Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp

Requires: Project Nevada - Core.esm

EVE FNV.esp

Project Nevada - EVE.esp

FNVEnhancedShaders - AA-DOF Enable.esp

−Unrecognised Plugins

Reorder these by hand using your favourite mod ordering utility.

oHUD.esm

New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - DLC + GRA + NVCE.esm

New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - DLC + GRA.esm

New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - DLC + NVCE.esm

New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - DLC.esm

New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - NO DLC + NVCE.esm

New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - NO DLC.esm

WMEVE - FOOK.esp

ProjectRealityMkIv5HDR.esp

New Vegas Error Corrections Reduce CTD - NO DLC.esp

New Vegas Error Corrections Reduce CTD - DLC.esp

New Vegas Error Corrections Reduce CTD - DLC + GRA.esp

New Vegas Error Corrections Essentials - DLC + GRA.esp

New Vegas Error Corrections Essentials - DLC.esp

New Vegas Error Corrections Essentials - NO DLC.esp

NVEC Complete FOOK Patch - DLC + GRA.esp

NVEC Complete FOOK Patch - NO DLC.esp

Edited by peppergomez

Not all mods have BOSS priority, unfortunately, so you're going to have to sort them by hand. In regards to Archive Invalidation, Fallout Mod Manager provides an option to toggle Archive Invalidation on and off with a simple click if you look under tools.

Also, you're going to want to get rid of "FOOK - New Vegas DLCS"; both the esm and esp. That is most likely the source of your crashes right now. When a mod relies on a master file to load and you don't possess it, the game will refuse to load up and immediately crash to desktop. Since you're using FOOK, you're going to want the "NVEC Complete FOOK Patch - NO DLC" alongside "New Vegas Error Corrections Complete - NO DLC.esm" ONLY. The other error correction esms/esps are optional alternatives that shouldn't be used side by side (Complete has all the functions that Essentials and No CTD have). I suggest moving the esm near the bottommost of your esms, and keep the esp below the FOOK esps, so it will take priority. Do the same with WMEVE as well. As far as the HUD is concerned, you should be able to place it above or below any of the esms as long as it isn't above the game essentials, such as DLCS or FalloutNV.esm, since it doesn't affect many core elements of the game.

Edited by wyvernix