Stereotypes in Men.. uncalled for or accurate?

Dweedle

<major snip> For now let us just keep to the thread topic, which I believe had something to do with stereotypes in men and whether or not they are called for or accurate. In my opinion, as I have stated time and time again, NO STEREOTYPE is called for or accurate; not now, not ever; not if we deal with one another as individual human beings.............:armscrossed:

Lol this just begs the question of what exactly is a stereotype? If there were not types to make a stereotype out of then the word would lose meaning and go out of usage. There are stereotypes and some are accurate though others are simply used to dismiss someone rather than actually know or understand them. The Op had what he deemed a disturbing comment from a co worker, instead of returning the barb or ignoring it, he choose to come here and look for moral support, that in itself is a stereotype.Then again from my stereotypical generation, we would have dealt with it up front instead of nurturing the grievance like an injured paw. Buck up OP, the world is not remotely fair and won't be anywhere in the foreseeable future,

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Tough Mudder thing I decided to do with a group of friends but also that of potential future business group members. Consider this:

60%+ of all IT projects (like I said, I'm a nerd who's out of the stereotype) fail. Considering the fact that programming and computers by themselves are completely worthless without human interaction...you'd understand why the failure rate is so high. Many people in the IT community, mostly men, are NOT aware of there surroundings. These men are grouped into the stereotype known as "nerds".

When you think of nerds, you do not think of some fat chick playing Maple Story because that's not how the media portrays it. It's either a skinny or fat MALE in front of a computer with very very strict comfort zone. Any real life social interaction leads to complete awkwardness or stupidity.

I challenge people to expand or leave their comfort zone as both a way of "advising" how to improve their life but also to take out my frustrations on the nerd stereotype strictly for men. What I did mention is that at one point in my life I was actually that fat kid in front of a computer all day long. With that said I've seen both sides of the stereotype and I'm definitely going to say the "other side" is much better. Nothing beats the reaction of bringing a new girl friend (haven't had this happen for 3 years though) after displaying crap tons of "I'm a jock" stereotype signs and her seeing 3 monitors, 2 computers, 7.1 speakers, and a server. You really do need both sides if the stereotype in your favor if you don't want to work as someone's *censored* for the rest of your life.In my humble opinion men (and women) are stereotyped by those who choose not to take the time to use what little brain capacity they have

Quite honestly your observations are brilliant as I can identify with what you're saying ... in a recent lecture I attended we had a man <no names> who is from the US, a former dean of a university and also one of the world's leading guru's when it comes to motivation ... he lectures to many of the massive corporations in the US.

And he echoes your sentiments exactly when it comes to people leaving their comfort zones.

The thing is that most people male and female limit themselves in terms of their capacity ... their "inner" size ... in terms of pain thresholds, relationships, exposure, crisis, risk and

self identification, and because of this people remain small in their outlook in life and stunt their character growth ... and end up "branding" others and categorising each other.

I simply love the fact that he spoke of people and their "capacity" in terms of personal growth and so it was really great to see Grannywils use the same term :thumbsup:

Grannywils says it simply as, " ... In my humble opinion men (and women) are stereotyped by those who choose not to take the time to use what little brain capacity they have ...".

Quite simply because they in their capacity as individuals live in a limited environment or a tiny worldspace.

People who travel and are engaged in various activities are more aware of people as being individuals and are less prone to walk about with a suitcase full of labels.

BlackBaron has a brilliant title which states, "Categories are for files and not for people" ... what a simply fantastic statement.

Btw, I've just watched the promo vid on Tough Mudder and that's quite an amazing achievement to complete ... and seeing that you call yourself a "nerd" ... I'd have to label

you as a nerd with an expanded capacity.

An excellent label if I may say so.

Edited by Nintii

@SubjectProphet, I apologize for the previous font color. it was a bit harsh. I have a hard time reading the plain black and white, so tend to choose colors, but that was a bad choice. Hope this one is better... :biggrin:

@Aurielius, I guess my point is that there are NOT types to make a stereotype out of; but rather there are individuals whose character traits meet criteria which can be found unattractive by some. In which case, there are those who choose to "stereotype" an entire, gender, race, religion, etc. with those traits and begin to call them names or choose to believe that they are unworthy or less than human or whatever it is that they do.

My concern is that this is how hatred and fear begins.

Yes, I agree that the OP needs to buck up, and yes I agree that the world is a hard place, and yes I agree that one needs to confront the issue immediately and directly (as you know that I would). I guess I was attempting to delve more deeply into the issue of stereotyping and how it can effect society as a whole, and individuals, such as this one in a harmful manner.

@SubjectProphet, I apologize for the previous font color. it was a bit harsh. I have a hard time reading the plain black and white, so tend to choose colors, but that was a bad choice. Hope this one is better... :biggrin:

@Aurielius, I guess my point is that there are NOT types to make a stereotype out of; but rather there are individuals whose character traits meet criteria which can be found unattractive by some. In which case, there are those who choose to "stereotype" an entire, gender, race, religion, etc. with those traits and begin to call them names or choose to believe that they are unworthy or less than human or whatever it is that they do.

My concern is that this is how hatred and fear begins.

Yes, I agree that the OP needs to buck up, and yes I agree that the world is a hard place, and yes I agree that one needs to confront the issue immediately and directly (as you know that I would). I guess I was attempting to delve more deeply into the issue of stereotyping and how it can effect society as a whole, and individuals, such as this one in a harmful manner.

Heh, it's not a problem, my right eye was injured on the center once and heavily affected my vision, so I can find it very hard to read some colors and small text. Just one eye has a whole effect on vision.

Back on topic, yes the OP should probably be like a bunch of other men out there and take it. Or better yet, shoot something right back at them. Not trying to say "start a fight" or anything but fight back. I once met a girl who hated men with tattoos and believed that a man with one is a harsh and ugly man. I have several, so she basicly rejected me and insulted me for that. So there are stereotypes of the little things, not just race, gender, religion, etc, but little stuff like eye color, hair color, body tone, stuff like that.

Stereotyping will always be here on Earth, we just have to learn to live with it.

I request here by from the op a specified clarification about the second quoted sentence from the women, (special the punctuation) becaue if i would do the punctuation, it becomes clear that this was a simple personal attack hidden behind the stereotype and thus mobbing on the work place. it only needs a

comma, a dot or an exclamation mark at the right point to become clear, if I have understood this right.

if above was right then a simple statement of what happened would have made plain that this behaviour can't be tolerated and makes working with one another much more difficult after this personal attack.

So if I'm right the topic headline is misleading because the topic from the 1st post on is about mobbing then and not about stereotypes in primary.

I could be wrong in this since the punctuation in mid sentence of the women's quote is missing and only the OP can place them proper since it was spoken to him.

I request here by from the op a specified clarification about the second quoted sentence from the women, (special the punctuation) becaue if i would do the punctuation, it becomes clear that this was a simple personal attack hidden behind the stereotype and thus mobbing on the work place. it only needs a

comma, a dot or an exclamation mark at the right point to become clear, if I have understood this right.

if above was right then a simple statement of what happened would have made plain that this behaviour can't be tolerated and makes working with one another much more difficult after this personal attack.

So if I'm right the topic headline is misleading because the topic from the 1st post on is about mobbing then and not about stereotypes in primary.

I could be wrong in this since the punctuation in mid sentence of the women's quote is missing and only the OP can place them proper since it was spoken to him.

Silver is quite right, punctuation could change the meaning.....so clarification would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Stereotypes, as a few other forum members have mentioned, are for people who don't want to think very deeply about the individual they have just met when they see a particular characteristic or two that that individual fits. Those of us with disabilities, specially those of us born with them, are stereotyped as weak and helpless, unable to do anything for ourselves, and need overprotection. My right hand is paralyzed because of CP, but as my best example of not fitting the above stereotype, I've learned how to drive one-handed, and have done so successfully now for 32 years, not something many expect out of someone with CP. Stereotypes are convenient, and even sometimes hit the mark, but often are way off base.

Now to the OP's spcific issue. Don't worry about what others think about you. There will always be someone who thinks of you as a lesser human being than they are. A "real man" is who he wants to be. Genuineness is better in the long run than a hot car and ripped abs, though they both are nice eyecandy, for both men and women.Next time you get a stereotypical comment like that, look at the person with that "oh well" look, and perhaps even verbalize the "oh well", letting them know you don't care what they think of you.

Without reading the last 6 pages...

If I got what you said right, you have the geeky look and you have joined a debate about something perverted. I guess you might be flagged as pervert, if the debate is with people you don't know and they don't know you.

On the sidenote, as to how "bad and wrong" this is comming from women... You have never look at a peroxide blonde with huge brests and somewhere in your mind had a though "Wow, she is prolly stupid" pop up?

Yeah, I though so.

Stereotypes are a way how to categorize people you don't know. Most people do it, even unintentionaly. You see a skinny guy with glases - oh, look, a nerd. You see dyed blonde girl - oh, look a Barbie, you see a fat, sweaty bald man - oh, look a goverment official (well, that might vary depending on where you live).

Of course, saying it out loud is not very...tact.