Skyrim FPS Drops

fuzz34

The biggest performance killer for me were the particles. In SkyrimPrefs.ini, look for something that says "iMaxDesired" or something like that. Has a value of around 700. I changed mine to 75 and noticed VERY little graphical degredation, and got a major fps boost.

Specs are :

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.2GHZ

Ram - 4GB @600MHZ

GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 1GB in a PCIe 1.0X16 socket

Mobo - Asus P5lVM1394 LGA775

PSU - 450Watt (540 Peak) CoolerMaster 80% Effeciency Bronze

Hint of advice, AMD Overdrive completely ruins my performance, so if you can *Cough* "Find" an overclocking peice of software (I use EVGA Precision), and clock your card to your preffered speeds, you should get steadier frame rates.

Also, get DXTory and GameBooster. DXTory has a few nice features that reduces your over-all FPS but greatly reduces that "Stutter" effect. Framerate capper is also nice. GameBooster lessens your HDD and CPU usage used by non-essential windows services, free-ing up ram and also reducing that stutter.

This ENB Series will also improve your over-all frame-rate when you add your vendor-id and device-id to it's .ini. Also reduces stutter.

In your skyrim.ini file under your MyGames\Skyrim directory, add this.

[Papyrus] fUpdateBudgetMS=800 
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800 
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000 
iMinMemoryPageSize=256 
iMaxMemoryPageSize=512 
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600 
bEnableLogging=0 
bEnableTrace=0 
bLoadDebugInformation=0 
bEnableProfiling=0

I noticed a significant reduction in stuttering whenever your HDD is accessed by skyrim.

Also, if you turn down all the shadow-related settings (Or even setting 'em all to 0) will gain you a few FPS, but when you have a gajillion NPCs in an area, you'll find that your fps doesn't take as much a hit as before. I keep my shadows off, and the lack of black-jaggy squares is much better than having 'em, I must say.

Edited by GomuGomu64

my imaxdesired was 2700, i changed it to 700...now i'm checking...

hmm now i'm getting 40fps avg, but sometime the game still hangs like or 1 sec frame rate goes to 0 then 40 again every min..

And after after loading the fps goes 0 sometimes for 3-4 min or sometimes more than 5 mins.

Edited by zaselim

@RSnider: No, i didn't change anything in the ini-file.

@the others: Well, thanks for the help but I guess the solution can't be to download the ENB-series. Also, with 16 gb RAM, a good HDD and quite a good CPU I can't imagine that I would need performance boosting programms. Like I said my rig should be able to handle everything on ultra. Sry if I sound precocious, the help is nontheless appreciated!

i'm using photorealistic enb.and hd textures. now the game is working a little better because i decrease both anti aliasing and other option (forgot the name) to 4x, textures/water qualities to 1024x1024.

the game is become quite playable again, (i was getting more than 60 fps avg before i installed hd textures and photo realistic ENB (performance ver).

@Nightfrost, it is possible that any of the mod is dropping fps, your pc is very high, i have a medicore pc considering yours a high end.

win7-64

core 2 quad 2.4ghz 6600

xfx 680-sli

gtx 560 1gb gddr5 (using 1920x1080(1080p) display on my samsung 32" HDTV

2x2=4gb ram (cosair xms2 800mhz)

PSU 700 watt cooler master

1400gb HDDs

(now my gamne is running on 40-50 fps on avg but still hangs sometimes specially right after the loading screen)

My advice to you, copy your game save(only save game not the ini files delete them all) or not if you can play from the start then delete your skyrim folder from my documents > my games>, install a new game then if you are going to install mods, install one at a time and check the game that way you can check which mod is causing you the problem if anyone causing it. I hope this will help you solve your problem.

Edited by zaselim