Need help fixing "Deleted Navmeshing"

RaulMZ

Hi,

So LOOT informed me that I have some deleted navmeshes, that can explain why I have CTD's very frequently. I found some guides on how to fix it, one of those is from the LOOT website and the instructions are confusing to me.

Here is the link to the guide I'm talking about: https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3337-skyrim-fixing-navmesh-deletion-using-tes5edit/

The part that bugs me out the most is the fact that the guide references you (me) as a modder that deleted some navmeshes by accident. That not true to my case, all I do is install mods, as far as my knowledge takes me is up to the 6th image, from there I honestly don't know what the f*ck to do next and I'm using the images as guide, the text are confusing to me.

Any help is welcome. Thanks!

Just an FYI the need to remove deleted navmeshing is contested in the mod author community. A small vocal group of Skyrim mod authors convinced a larger group it was necessary some years ago. However numerous veteran Fallout mod authors I've talked to (veteran meaning multiple Fallout games) consider the practice completely unnecessary at best and the efforts that Skyrim mod authors go to to avoid deleted navmeshing to be counter-productive and more likely to result in CTD at worst. So consider taking it with a grain of salt. Odds are good that something else entirely is causing your CTDs unless you've extensively tested that CTDs stop with that mod removed.

At the sixth image, the text below it says, "Now on the left pane, right click on this entry and select remove..." and it's referring the the red box that says "Navigation Mesh." However, you are supposed to make note of the FormID which is 00F26C0. However, that's an arbitrary number. Your Navigation Mesh could be any number starting with two 00s.

It's contested? How is that even possible? If I said I had a CTD with Helgen Reborn and Elvenwood those that doubt that wouldn't care what I said. If I gave them a pair of working and non working files, they would then feel "they" figured it out. As if they were the expert on the subject. Upon doing so they convince themselves they are right, and two mods can cause a CTD and if you repair them then the CTD will no longer occur. That's called a confirmation bias.

The problem with a confirmation bias is that when people convince themselves of something it takes little to no information to draw their conclusion. Most people just read something by someone they think has to be right, and blindly believe what they say. I have for over 5 years asked people to show me the error in xEdit and to this day they never do. Incidentally if you read previous posts in the Elvenwood comments section, I did myself do the very thing I gave as an example. It's not hypothetical in any way.

When I download a mod the first thing I do is look at the masters of the file. If they say FileName.esm, FileName.esm, and FileName.esm, and they are all DLC, then I know I can load that file into the Creation Kit as long as I edit the INI file to allow multiple master loads. If they are all ESM files I can load that safly. If I see an ESP file then I know I will have to flag that as a master, which you do with xEdit. I think that's covered in section 6 of the Fallout New Vegas training manual. As long as I set the ESM flag for the ESP files prior to loading the Plugin, then I can safely load that into the Creation Kit.

Once loaded I save it. Then I clean it and look for Deleted NavMeshes. If I find any I resolve them. I do it differently, and if you watch my video, do not have headphones on or have the volume up because I cough, really loud. I made that for Elianoria when she had just started modding. It's not any edited official tutorial and no I'm not going to remake it. I made it over 4 years ago and nothing has changed for any game. It's all the same deal.

Once I am done with the deleted NavMeshes I save it in the CK again and the look at the Creation Kit warnings, like EditorWarnings.txt I think it's called. If I see other NavMesh errors like triangle 372 has this error I go resolve that, if there is an overlapping navemesh I address that, whatever, until when I save the plugin there are 0 Navmesh errors. Then I use the plugin and see what it does.

As long as the mod author didn't do something wrong in the rest of the plugin, then it should be fairly stable. Don't undelete a NavMesh that exists in the official DLC. Only fix a Deleted Mavmesh that the CK deleted by making a copy of the previous vanilla NavMesh, then assigning both your edited navmesh and the deleting vanilla NavMesh to your plugin. I guess in this case the authors plugin.

Edited by Sharlikran