[LE] Trying to get less bows to spawn on NPCs

tehgonk

It's always irked me that so many guards, soldiers, bandits, etc. carry a bow and I've decided to try my hand at 'fixing' this since I can't find a mod that does what I want.

I've been experimenting in the CK and have found a pretty reliable way to acheive this but I'm curious if there is a better / easier way to do this for all the relevent npc lists.

This is the method I'm using atm:

http://i.imgur.com/58ZbcTi.jpg

I replaced the bow with a new leveled list I made so that I can control how likely it to spawn on an imperial soldier (in this case). Again, since I don't have a good working knowledge of how leveled lists work I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

With your method, your mod will be incompatible with other mods editing the same leveled lists.

Instead of adding LB_Imperial to the leveled lists manually in the CK, I would add them via AddForm in a script (for instance a unique quest script) using event OnInit() or similar.

The problem there is that you can't remove CK-specified forms from a formlist or levelled list, so they will wind up with both the default bow and whatever bow the new levelled list will give them. Manually removing them from enemies via script runs into a lot of other problems. It's possible, but...

I think this is something where 'live with the incompatibility' might be the best call.

With your method, your mod will be incompatible with other mods editing the same leveled lists.

Instead of adding LB_Imperial to the leveled lists manually in the CK, I would add them via AddForm in a script (for instance a unique quest script) using event OnInit() or similar.

The problem there is that you can't remove CK-specified forms from a formlist or levelled list, so they will wind up with both the default bow and whatever bow the new levelled list will give them. Manually removing them from enemies via script runs into a lot of other problems. It's possible, but...

I think this is something where 'live with the incompatibility' might be the best call.

Oh yeah, I forgot that something needed to be removed as well. Thanks for the correction.

I guess the solution would be something with quest aliases and player perks, frequently and dynamically finding all enemies with bows near the player, then make a chance that the bow is removed. I probably wouldn't even be able to do it myself though...

Oh yeah, I forgot that something needed to be removed as well. Thanks for the correction.

I guess the solution would be something with quest aliases and player perks, frequently and dynamically finding all enemies with bows near the player, then make a chance that the bow is removed. I probably wouldn't even be able to do it myself though...

Thank you both for replying. Unfortunately another factor in all of this is my modding skill. I think I will have to live with some incompatibilities, at least while I don't know how to do all the things you have suggested as a workaround.

This is mainly for me unless I see that it works well and doesn't cause too many problems. I guess I'll just have to make it and start playing to find out how well it works with a decently modded game.

Again, thanks.

I have another suggestion but it's out of your current modding skill scope and since you're the only one using that method, it is alright.

But let's say in the future that you want to release this, before hand study how spells are made, formlists, the condition system and a little bit of scripting, because it is certainly possible to just make a spell with AOE that puts an effect on all enemies that checks their inventory for arrows and removes them. :tongue: Total compatible since you wouldn't have to touch actor forms at all.

I myself don't like how the game favors heavily on the player being bombarded with arrows because the AI is programmed to pull the bow out if the player is seemingly less than 200 units out of their melee range. :/

I have another suggestion but it's out of your current modding skill scope and since you're the only one using that method, it is alright.

But let's say in the future that you want to release this, before hand study how spells are made, formlists, the condition system and a little bit of scripting, because it is certainly possible to just make a spell with AOE that puts an effect on all enemies that checks their inventory for arrows and removes them. :tongue: Total compatible since you wouldn't have to touch actor forms at all.

I myself don't like how the game favors heavily on the player being bombarded with arrows because the AI is programmed to pull the bow out if the player is seemingly less than 200 units out of their melee range. :/

Huh, never thought of that. I guess it achieves the same goal other than the 'realism' factor of removing the bow and arrows entirely. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do that sort of thing. Thanks.

Edited by tehgonk