NPC Packages

kingtitan

Well that's just the problem, I did set duration to 0 thinking it would solve the spam issues. But, basically once the package started it wouldn't stop. I guess i could provide two packages for sitting, so that the NPC goes back to sitting right after? That way (in theory) the package that has him pulling the lever would fire and just right after the sitting package would fire.

EDIT: I found that changing the package type to "Find" instead of "Use Item At" made the NPC activate it only once. That problem solved! However, is it possible to make him go do something directly after instead of having him stand around for an hour doing nothing?

Edited by kingtitan

Yes that is probably what you need. When the girls use the altar they move right on to their next package (a wander package if memory serves).

- Edit - The one girl I checked has an eat package after both worship packages ... she's goes to Jerall View for that, but it's set to 9am and 18:00 same as the worship package. Because it has the 'Must Complete' flag set it takes precedence (plus it's set to the spot on the list above the eat package, as I believe the packages also evaluate from the top of the list down).

Edited by Striker879

Yes that is probably what you need. When the girls use the altar they move right on to their next package (a wander package if memory serves).

Just for the sake of clarification, in that respect what should the times be set at? For instance, you might have your girls go worship at say 8 a.m., how did you set up the next package so that they are not standing by the altar aimlessly after worshiping?

Ok, I think I understand...

Here is how I have it set up (mind you, the NPC still stands around doing nothing after activating the lever):

First package in the list is the "Find" package, the package that tells the NPC to lower the bridge. I have the flags "Once per day" and "skip fallout behavior" marked. Time is set to 23 and duration is 0.

The sit package (travel) follows in the list. The point of this package is to have the NPC sitting unless he gets up to lower the bridge. I have the flags "must complete" (per your suggestion) and "skip fallout behavior" marked. The time is set for 23 with a duration of 23.

I thought this would work out, but apparently my logic and the game's logic are not coinciding! I basically just want him to be able to go right from one activity to the next since all the first package is telling him to do is activate a lever.

Another thing that may be affecting things is the glitch when packages span the 24 hour mark. Just for testing try setting the lever activate time to something well away from midnight. I would add a 'Must Complete' to the 'Find' (activate lever) package but not the sit package. Also try it with two sit packages, say one from 6 am when he gets up to 11 am (5 hours duration). At 11 am have him activate the lever with the 'Once Per Day', "Must Complete' and 'Skip Fallout". Then give him a second sit package for 4 hours or whatever time your other NPC needs that starts at 11 am. At 15:00 give him his second lever package (same flags set) and his second sit package at 15:00 for say 3 hours. Let him have supper, then have a little default wander time and at 20:00 maybe a drink for an hour before bedtime at midnight.

Once you get him executing all his packages try resetting the times where they span midnight and see if that breaks them again.

I am definently going to try the last reply (or at least a variation of it). I honestly couldn't get anything to work prior to your last post striker; the most annoying thing is knowing that it is possible but simply not working in my game! But let me set up the stage once again real quick:

So, I ended up having about 5 activators linked together- a lever, gate, drawbridge, and a couple others; basically the lever activates all of them in turn by the parent/child tree (bear in mind this project has all been one big practice/ learning exercise more of less for me, so I have no doubt some of the stuff i've put together sounds downright crazy). Anyway,the reasoning behind this was mainly so that I could have only one lever as opposed to operating two (one for the gate and one for the bridge). This allowed the Operator NPC to only use a single lever instead of forcing me to come up with a complicated packaging scheme that actually worked together! So, needless to say, my need is still there, however, I have not yet tried out your suggestion yet striker.

I did read about the "24 hr" glitch, but I just assumed that it wouldn't be an issue for me since none of the packages technically spanned the gap. However, i can see how putting them close to the time change could certainly cause issues.

Side question: I haven't yet looked into drink packages, what does the NPC need in their inventory for it to work?

Edited by kingtitan

I have used the Bethesda packages as a guide extensively. What they use in their drink packages is the MiddleClassPewterMug01 in the NPC's inventory and 'Use Item At' package with 'Target' tab 'Any Object' selected and MiddleClassPewterMug01 in the drop down box for 'Object ID'. What this gives you is the NPC standing and drinking, with the swaying idle animation. I give the NPC a -1 count on beer in their inventory (so they won't run out), but I don't know for sure that it's necessary as long as they have the mug.

I've also got some NPCs that sit and drink. For that I use 'Use Item At' with 'Location' ticked on the location tab, 'Near Reference', the cell their chair is in selected in the 'Cell' drop down box and then their chair selected in the 'Ref' box. Simplest way to select the chair is use the 'Select Reference in Render Window' button while you have their chair visible in the render window. Their target tab has 'Any Object' selected and then 'Drink Beer' in the 'Object ID' drop down. They also have -1 beer and the pewter mug in their inventory.

Like I said, I've use the vanilla packages as guides extensively (that was the only way I finally got my patrols to work for example). It takes a bit of 'game savvy' to know which NPCs to research for what, so you can observe their routine and figure out what will work for you and what you'd change. That way you don't spend all your time with your head stuck in the CS. :tongue:

Striker, your last two posts really helped me kinda figure out what I needed to construct for the schedule. If I hadn't already given you kudos, I would have!

Everything now works fine, except I do have somewhat of a question out of curiosity:

The specific NPC can use a "find" package to activate a lever with 0 duration and immediately after have a travel package that tells them to go to a marker or such and the packages fire fine.

However, when I tried the exact same scenario with the exception of substituting the marker in the travel package with a chair reference, the NPC just stood by the activator after using the find package. Is this just some sort of engine bug or did I set it up incorrectly?

Edited by kingtitan

I've never used a 'Find' package so I can't say. Will your NPC use the lever if it's the target of a 'Use Item At' package? I can't recall which vanilla NPC I used as a template of sorts for my sit and read (and later sit and drink) packages, but I don't 'invent' much on my own, just adapt examples to my purpose. I'm wracking my brain trying to recall a vanilla NPC that uses a lever but coming up blank. I seem to recall a dungeon with a drawbridge ... maybe a Mages guild quest, but I don't remember if an NPC uses a lever to lower the bridge or maybe it remains up until the player lowers it. If I can figure it out I'll look into it (though after tonight I won't have access to my gaming machine for two weeks ... picked up a gig dog sitting for my brother while he's out of the country ... I'll be limited to my non-gaming laptop).

And while I do appreciate kudos they aren't what drives me ... seeing you get to the root of your problems or find the solution to a scenario are more payment than I could ever ask for.

- Edit - Did some searching through the vanilla quests. I believe the drawbridge I'm thinking of is the one in zone 3 (Fangs of the Serpent) in Fort Pale Pass on the Lifting the Vale quest. Reading through the UESP Wiki walkthrough leads me to think that no NPCs can activate the drawbridge as they don't have an activator available on their side when it's raised.

Edited by Striker879